what fish do i choose ?

Dec 14, 2009
England
hello all,

in my 25g i currently have 9 sailfin mollies, 3 black phantom tetras,1 female swordtail(ferb) and a bristlenose catfish. i have made the decision to trade in 4 of my mollies but dont know what fish to choose in its place. in a previous thread i asked if angelfish would be appropriate but it turned out i was unable to get them. but i have recently fell in love with parrot fish and was wondering if i would be able to get two parrot fish , if not what ?? something brightly coloured and of a good size.

i also have driftwood in the tank which stains the water slightly but my weekly 25% water changes keeps the water from really staning, will this affect the fish ??

i hope to hear from you all very soon , thankyou :)

25g - 9 sailfin mollies f/m, three black phantom tetras, 1 female swordtail and a bristlenose catfish.

10g fry tank- 31 molly fry and a small bristlenose catfish

3.3g - female betta ( ruby)

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
dont get parrots. they need a group of at least 5 and will need a minimum of 75 gal for the fish. a group of 5 will need a tank around 100gal.
they also prefer a higher pH. i wouldnt go with those.
maybe some south american cichlid? a ram or apistogramma?
random ideas.

Parrot fish facts

There are two kinds of cichlids called parrot cichlids. Hoplarchus psittacus is the original parrot cichlid. It is a large green cichlid coming from the Amazon and Orinoco River drainages of South America. Large males can be well over a foot in length. It got its name because of its large parrot-like mouth. This fish is very rare in the hobby and has only been bred a few times. It is a magnificent fish.

The other kind of parrot cichlid is increasingly common in pet stores. It is sometimes called the parrot cichlid or blood parrot cichlid or red parrot cichlid or blood red parrot cichlid. When this fish first appeared a few years ago, they were orange. Now, I have seen them in all sorts of colors ranging from orange and red to purple, blue and even green. For the rest of this page, I will call this fish the blood parrot cichlid.

The blood parrot cichlid is a man-made hybrid. The exact origins of the fish are unclear but it appears to be a cross between a South American cichlid, likely the severum (Heros severus) and a Central American cichlid, likely the midas cichlid (Amphilophus citrinellus) or the red devil (Amphilophus labiatus).

In the last few years, there has been a rash of new kinds of parrot cichlids, now called jellybean cichlids or similar things to reflect the many colors they now come in.

Being a purest, and naturally not being too crazy, about crossbreeding fish, I would'nt advise anyone to by a "Blood Parrot" However to each his own, Thats what this hobby is all about, You pays your money and you pick you out a fish :) Good luck.