What fish to add

Mar 18, 2006
clay twp
I started my new 55 gal tank and it has been cycled. It is time to start adding fish.

right know i have about 40lbs of live rock and 10 lbs of coral.

one turbo snail I plan to add more snails maybe a couple peppermint shrimp I like the crabs but i do not want them bothering my fish.

I also have mini stars.

The fish i plan to add are as follows in this order
Blue tang
Firefish
Ocellaris Clown
Green Clown Goby
Bicolor Pseudochromis
Yellow tang

Let me know what you guys think of my choices or if the order is wrong or anyfish are not compatable.*thumbsups

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
the blue tang and the yellow tang are going to pose a problem. personally, i wouldn't keep either in a 55...but if you want to, you definitely need to pick one or the other. IMO the yellow is a better choice in that regard. beyond that, things look ok provided you are running a decent skimmer.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I thing the tank is too small for a blue tang unless you want to swap fish every vouple years, and you will find a bicolor pseudo astoundingly aggressive to the goby and firefish at least.
Replace them with a dwarf angel and a fairy wrasse

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Yes, angels are much less aggressive than pseudochromis.

Hermit crabs will not bother fish (assuming you get the dwarf kind, like the blue leg or the scarlet reef hermits or several other times). If you have extra shells for them to move into, they also won't bother each other or snails.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I can assure you hermit crabs will bother each other, and snails as well. Only a very few are purely algae eaters, most will eat anything.