What fresh water fish is this?

Dec 6, 2011
:)D OK im new to this site and it looks wonderful! :D) I have a urgent question our neighbor had to move but he didn't want to get rid of his fish but he didn't tell us what they were after heavy research i figured out all of them except one who cant/wont eat any of the food i put in. He reacts to it witch is good and he swims around so i put him in my other tank to try to get some photos and a video (qualities not the best but its all i got) of him cause i have no clue and i have been searching for days and im worried he will starve :( any help would be very nice even the identification of the species would be a major help but if you could list possible food options as well you would be a lifesaver literally, thanks in advance cheers!

PS: if this is any help i dont know if you can see them or not but he has small pair of whiskers near his head and he loves dark places and tends to stick to the bottom *PEACE!*

Pics
View attachment 10854 View attachment 10855 View attachment 10856 View attachment 10857

Videos: [video=youtube;eOQ-nkmYa90]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eOQ-nkmYa90[/video]

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2011
underwater
That looks to me like a siamese algae eater, or SAE. They are very good at eating algae. You can't just feed them normal fish flakes; they won't eat that stuff. Feed them algae or blanched vegetables like cucumbers, zucchini, etc.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
It's definetely a Siamese Algae Eater, but what size tank is it in? Those things grow huge, and when they get bigger, they're more aggressive. At first I thought that it was just an Otocinclus, but after I saw the size comparison I knew that it was a SAE. Just be careful and sure that it isn't a Chinese Algae Eater. Those things do nothing and are extremely aggressive. But thankfull, it looks like a SAE for sure. :)

This is a SAE (the one you have)

And this is a CAE (the one that you DON'T want and thankfully don't have)

Notice how the CAE is sitting there and doing nothing while the SAE is snacking on an algae wafer (the green disc). SAEs are also more active. Go to this link to learn a lot more about them, I love this site.
Siamese Algae Eaters (SAE), Crossocheilus siamensis, with care, maintenance requirements and breeding information for your tropical fish

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Ok, good. So he should be good in there. He looks pretty much full grown. What other fish are in there besides the SAE and that one beautiful male Guppy that I saw in the video?

Dec 6, 2011
By the way the crayfish dosent even bother the SAE in fact they seem to benefit each other cause the SAE cleans up his log :D

(oh and sorry for the late replies im currently not in the states) *crazysmil

Last edited:

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
It's ok. I forget the places that I post and so I forget to post. The combination iis good and your tank is lightly stocked. Where are you currently? (sorry if I'm nosey. I have a very low sense for detecting peoples' personal bubbles. :D)