What happened to this girl?

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
OK, so I went to Wal-Mart last night and saw the poor, pitiful fish. There was this female betta with a white/pearl body and pearly purple fins, she was too cute. Basically, I could not resist her, so I bought her. My other female has been doing alright in my 29g, so I thought the new one, "Violet", would too. I mean come on, it had to be better than that nasty cup she was in before!!!

Well I took her home, put her in the tank, and she didn't move too much. She would stay at the surface for a while, then kinda sit on the gravel, but then she would swim around a little bit too. I kept my eye on her for a good 2-3 hours, and she seemed ok. (Just a little scared of her new surroundings.) None of the other inhabitants were bothering her at all or anything. I went to bed, got up this morning, and she was dead. :( :( :(

I feel sooooooooo awful. Here I thought I was rescuing her, and I killed her. My water is fine, all the other fish are fine, etc. I regret not just putting her in a small tank. Does anyone have any ideas what happened? Also, what is the "ideal" tank for female bettas? Because I am thinking of going back to the small tank for the girls. Any advice would be appreciated...thanks!

-a sad mother:(

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
See that is what I thought, but she actually looked really healthy. Her body/fins were in good condition, she was pretty big, she may have been breathing just a touch fast... but I thought maybe it was because she was adjusting to the new setting. hmmmmmmmmm...

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I think a lot of bettas go into "big tank shock" as I call it. Those fish are literally raised in plastic bathroom cups in thailand or wherever they came from, it's really sad. With the sudden shock of actually being able to swim around, I think some don't make it. I know my last female betta had some trouble swimming at first, but after a day or so she was a swimming pro. :) Unfortunately, she "disappeared" some time later. Still don't know what could have happened to her...

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
Aww, sorry to hear about your little girl, MissFishy. :( However, I do agree with you becuase I have been thinking it was probably stress related or "big tank syndrome". I guess I will have to stick to smaller tanks for them. The first girl I got, (and still have) was first in a 1g tank b/c she was tiny.. and that is just what I had. I then moved her to the 29g after a scare, and she's alive but.... weird.... (it's explained in a different thread).

Does anyone have a good suggestion tank-wise for keeping the female bettas? I would really like to keep a mini "school" of them, if possible becuase I just love them. Would it be best to keep it under like 10g? Maybe 7-8? Or even a 5? Unfortunately, I just gave my b/f my 5... but that is ok because I wouldn't be setting it up any time soon.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
could be because you bought it at walmart... the walmarts i goto there is no one ever attending to the fish, dead carcasses always around in the tanks, not fresh dead, i mean bones showing and no skin left skeletons... it is sickening to see them that bad, i feel for the fish at walmart, i won't even consider buying them there just for fear of getting a disease in my tank when i add the bought fish to it.

Meman5150

Medium Fish
Oct 25, 2006
Grumpy_Marine said:
could be because you bought it at walmart... the walmarts i goto there is no one ever attending to the fish, dead carcasses always around in the tanks, not fresh dead, i mean bones showing and no skin left skeletons... it is sickening to see them that bad, i feel for the fish at walmart, i won't even consider buying them there just for fear of getting a disease in my tank when i add the bought fish to it.
I agree I see the same thing over here.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I too have seen some horrifying walmart fish sections...some of which I've already described on here. The worst being a lady taking half dead fish and throwing them into the sink to flop around until they died. I felt sick to my stomach.

Apr 9, 2006
Illinois
www.myspace.com
I know, its just AWFUL. How can people be so careless about living animals? It infuriates me beyond belief.:mad: :mad: That is why I bought her, I wanted to rescue her. When my b/f and I were there he was soo pissed about their "quality" of life. He was like "isn't there anything we can do to help these fish?".... so sad:(

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I know...I mean, the fish were dying anyways of various ailments...but what a terrible way to die in a sink. The worst part is, "rescuing them" only promotes it, because they're making money off of your fish purchase.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
nothing us customers can do... the old saying customer is always right... not in america... probably get laughed at now, so best to just stop going to fish section of wally world. Find a good LFS and stick with them. If going to chain stores i choose petsmart as the selection is good for equipment, and i always see employees cleaning the tanks and feeding and removing dead fish. Good upkeep for a chain store. Maybe we could start a petition to get walmart to remove the fish since they don't maintain well for the fish or customer... no return policy on dead fish, fish they sell are ill at start and die, so selling bad eggs makes it ok right? But thats my two cents, don't want to start anything bad here just gripping thats all, holding up the grumpy part of my name lately...lol

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
As far as keeping a school of female betas, you may want to gradually increase their tank size when you first get them so they don't go into big tank shock. First put them in a little gallon jar, then upgrade them to 2-3 gallons a week later, then 5 after another week, then 10. I wouldn't go any bigger than 20, betas don't seem to like all the extra room. They like to hug the walls and pace back and forth.

Sep 11, 2006
Northeast Ohio
MissFishy said:
I think a lot of bettas go into "big tank shock" as I call it. Those fish are literally raised in plastic bathroom cups in thailand or wherever they came from, it's really sad. With the sudden shock of actually being able to swim around, I think some don't make it. QUOTE]

i almost had to same problem. i tried putting my betta in my larger tank and within about 4-5 hours he was lookin discolored and moving slow. i took him out bought a small bowl and he's been great ever since

burnt

Medium Fish
Jan 12, 2007
new york
www.diethylamide.org
my girlfriend and i came across a very scruffy looking betta in a little cup with a closed lid in filthy water, he was the last one left and all the others had been sold and he looked so sad :(

so we took him home, and hes alive and doing much better 3 months later! unfortunatley his top fin his flopped over from there not being enough water in his cup at walmart, and that has not recovered.

it was nice of you to try to save her, at least she was among other fish and in a larger tank, instead of alone and scared in a little cup under uv lights in walmart