What hardy freshwater fish are there.

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
When I have been to the LFS and I hear someone ask if this fish is "hardy" it always sends up a red flag! If your conditions are right you shouldn't need a hardy fish*thumbsups .

Justin

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you decide that you don't want to fishless cycle (which is very easy and I'd definitely reccomend!) then a couple of suggestions for fish to use cycling would be zebra danios or platies/swordtails.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Fishless cycling is hard for a lot of people because you have to look at an empty tank for a few weeks. But in the end, it is very worth it. You don't have to deal with TONS of water changes and in the end you don't have fish you don't really want. In addition to the link above, you can also check out my instructions for fishless cycling in my signature link.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
If feel you have to do it then ruby reds are pretty good for the job and dirt cheap. Then again, as MissFishy stated, you're stuck with fish you really don't want.

I did the fish-in cycle with my first tank. I learned alot about the cycle, but hauling all that water was a pain. When I cycled my 2nd tank I did it the easy way and then wondered why I even bothered to do it with fish in the first place.