what i need?

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
Can someone please look at this link and tell me if its a good deal, does it include what i need, does it have things i don't need etc, do i need to get something else?

im just reading up on saltwater tanks, so i dont know much yet, and dont plan to buy it until ive learned more

thanks

72 Bowfront  AGA Salt Kit

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I wouldnt do the deal as some of the items are not needed and very expensive. IMO just from the grand total alone I would have to say you would be better off purchasing a tank and stand combo and then going online for further equipment needs.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Get a good book like Mike palettas The New Marine Aquarium...do you know what size aquarium your looking at? This book is really good at outling a succesful aquarium. I would also go to a few LFS and ask for their opinions...a good fish store will spend a lot of time with you answering your questions because your a potential customer....again go to a few of them to get a few different opinions. There are also threads and stickys on this forum that really outline the basics and what you need to start up a tank.

As for the deal...not out of the ordinary. I personally like to choose my equiptment and so I would consider some of the stuff included pointless/waste of money.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
It looks like your best bet on that tank is to get the tank, stand and perhaps the overflow/sump stuff, but not get the lighting, filters and skimmer they recommend. I think you'll be better off choosing your own equipment, based on your goals.

If that's your LFS, it looks like they have some good deals on tanks/stands. The kits seem to really bump up the price with stuff you don't necessarily need.

Definitely get the recommended books, they'll save you much more than their value in telling you what to get and what not to get.