What is a bio ball

125mph

New Fish
Sep 11, 2008
I hear lots of talk about no bio balls .. what are they?

Is it a filtration system such as the 350B Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter?

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Bioballs are basically bits of plastic with lots of surface area for bacteria to colonize. They're a filter media, rather than a filter themselves. They're most commonly placed in a sump.

The problem with them in marine aquaria is that they make the tank very efficient at processing ammonia and nitrites, which leads to higher nitrates. For a low nitrate system, use either live rock rubble or macroalgae in your sump.

125mph

New Fish
Sep 11, 2008
Bioballs are basically bits of plastic with lots of surface area for bacteria to colonize. They're a filter media, rather than a filter themselves. They're most commonly placed in a sump.

The problem with them in marine aquaria is that they make the tank very efficient at processing ammonia and nitrites, which leads to higher nitrates. For a low nitrate system, use either live rock rubble or macroalgae in your sump.
I see.. thanks.. so do marine aquariums need filters like the 350B Penguin Bio-Wheel Filter? I'm looking at the nano guide and the regular saltwater guides but don't see any mention of a filter system other than live rock.

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
these are bioballs

no filter other than the liverock and a couple of powerheads for water movment... in lager tanks youll need a protien skimmer i guess u could call that a filter if u want to :p