What is a good anenome to get?

Chuck Nasty

Medium Fish
Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
Im looking for a good anenome to buy.We had a real good one,but i dont know what kind it is.All i know is when i go look at the fish store thay got alot of anenomes and alot of them are real ugly.I was talking to the fish store person and he said that there is some anenomes that the clown fish dont like.Right now the clown fish keeps on trying to go in my pearl bubble coral and the coral does not like him.So if anyone knows of a good one that will do good and that the clown fish will like let me know please.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Carpet anemones are beautiful and accept clowns. I wouldn't add an anemone to an existing reef, 'cause it will try different locations and choose what's the best spot in the tank, stinging anything. I've seen a reef completely burned by a huge unhappy anemone. Not a good move by the owner. I may have someday an anemone, but it will add it before i add other cnidarians. Oh BTW if you really like the look and hosting of anemones, you could try plate corals...they look just like some ( green is really superb ), need less light, can be manually moved ( 'cause there's a hard shell, being a LPS ) and the sting isn't strong.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
carpets are notoriously difficult to keep alive

i added a BTA to an established reef and it did cause some problems but i have now come to the conclusion that it was worth the struggle...i think

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i was just saying carpet is beautiful. Yeah sure an anemone is cool to have, but personnally i wouldn't gamble. I only have 10 month experience ;) and i do stress a bit when one of my LPS isn't 100% expanded..so puting a threat like this into my tank would not be a good choice 4 me.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
The smartarse answer, and probably the correct one, is that if you don't know enough to select one you likely don't know enough to keep one alive. They're not super tricky, but they are unforgiving of nonideal conditions

JustinP

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
I read on Wetwebmedia that you really shouldn't mix anemones with corals as they can harm them and the 2 don't inhabit the same ocean environment anyway. I however have a yellow Sebae in my tank that is friendly. He hangs out in the sand and rarely moves and has never climbed up rock where my corals are so I don't have a prob with him. I got him for my clownfish too but I've only seen a clownfish in it once and that was at night. Hosting with anemones is hit or miss.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
certain clowns (all from the pacific) and anemones (some from the atlantic) do not come from the same environment and that can cause problems...many clowns, however, naturally inhabit anemones. as far as clowns hosting it really is hit or miss however some combinations (as outlined in the link i posted) are much more frequently succesful

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well you have 2 problems...
1. Is it compatible with everything else in the tank
2. Are you capable of keeping it alive for a long time - the life span for these things is in the 10's to hundreds of years, so 3 months and then it falls to pieces (the average I would imagine) is pretty poor morally

Chuck Nasty

Medium Fish
Apr 21, 2005
Houston Texas
Well like i was saying we had one for the longest time but when our fish got ich this fish guy we where messing with told us to add that kick ich and it did not like it.It has been a little over 2 months since we have added any med. to the tank.We do a 10 gal water chang every two weeks,but the anenome does not want to come back.He will move a little to a diffrent spot but i know he is not happy.Everything else in the tank is doing real good and i mean REAL GOOD.So i might just see if this one comes back are not,but i realy dont want to get another one if there is a chanch that it will harm my other corals.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
if the other one is unhappy i would really reccomend waiting until it appears healthy again rather than adding something new...instant gratification is nice and all but it is just asking for trouble imo

Shipley18

Large Fish
Nov 27, 2004
Visit site
speaking of Anenomes i have a Majano(sp.) and some one todl me they can be a noussince....why? mine is only about an inch long and cam with my LR and its directly next to a patch of star polyp coral