What is a Pico??

Okay. I was just wondering. There are people from petsmart asking me what a pico is and I didnt know. I do got a question now that I know just in case the question comes up.

What are the benefits of a pico?
What kind of fish can be placed within?
What about a cleanup crew?

Thanks I am the most educated at petsmart and I dont work there but I still try to make sure people get the right info.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
There are limited benefits but the main one would be it is cheaper than a large tank and takes up less space. It is a matter of what you like. A pico/nano or other small sw tank is harder to maintain as the fluctuations in water quality are magnified when there is only a small amount of water. You must be extremely dilligent in water changes and on top of water testing. Suitable fish are small non aggressive types of gobies and such that are suited to a small tank. A cleanup crew again is one suited to small spaces. A good choice in a pico is an invert tank or say a gobie/pistol shrimp pair or someone has even set up a small tank as a mantis tank......

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I was thinking of one small neon gobie....but mostly that would be in a nano for the gobie/shrimp pair.....I can't imagine anything other than a neon or a small banded green gobie in a pico....even then you would have to be on water changes