What is garf grunge????

jaws2

Large Fish
Feb 19, 2003
massachusetts
Visit site
I was curious what is garf grunge i want to turn dead rock live and does this stuff help? I wanted to add 1 big centerpiece to my 30 gallon I need some info what this is to carry out my plan!!

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Basically it's live sand with some rubble. They claim that it has more life than any other live sand but I really don't see how they can say that. Not a bad price though.....
BUT, if you know someone that has a reef tank, or maybe a good (and I do mean GOOD) LFS that has a nice disease free display tank, if they were to give you a couple of scoops of their sand, it would do the same thing......

Jan 19, 2003
Stavanger, Norway
Visit site
Garf grunge looks pretty good as it comes with bacteria + larger critters, plus I would bet it's pretty biodiverse. A bagged live sand will have the bacteria, but unless you're astonishingly lucky all the larger stuff will have died. I don't know if you need to cure the garf grunge, it seems logical you might need to.
Sand from an established, old tank is best, sand from the lfs will be of variable quality. If it's from there 'super reef display tank' it's likely good, if from the main system it might be good, might be a zero as it's likely been repeatedly nuked by meds so it will likely NOT be biodiverse. Do you know anyone with a reef you can get from sand from.
Remember you will NOT get a lot of the stuff thats so desirable on live rock this way, only some of the bacteria. For the amount of money you'll spend doing this, doing that you could get 5 lbs of good quality live rock and get going.

dgodwin

Large Fish
Dec 2, 2002
Buffalo, NY
www.dgodwin.com
You can also probably get some live sand from local reefers. I've added sand from at least 7 different reef tanks, to seed my sand bed. Most will just give it to you or trade it for some of your sand if you don't have anything bad.