What is going on with my Gourami?

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
I have two Blue Gourami in a 10 gallon tank. Recently my bigger of the two has started changing colors. He is almost a black tiger stripe now. They seem to be hanging out close together and the smaller one is always at the bottom of the tank. I don't know how to sex them so I took some pics to see if any of you could maybe do it. Are they getting ready to make hammer time or what? :confused: The smaller one has not changed color. The pics aren't that good. Hopefully someone can help me.
Thanks in advance

Attachments

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
Actually they both look like male. But those pics arent the greatest. To sex them the males have a more pointy anal fins, and generally longer fins. The top pic looks more like an opaline gourami than a blue one. And the color changing, if they are both males, may be because the larger one is the dominate one. Which is a possiblity. Another possibility is that, if they are opposite sex, are getting ready to mate. But, if that is the case, once they do, you will want to put them in a bigger tank because a 10 is not big enough for even one gourami let alone two.

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
bubbles?

every now and then I wake up and in the morning and there are tiny little bubbles all along the edge of the tank. But I don't know if its a nest or what???

jeremy

Large Fish
Jul 6, 2005
DePere, WI
Yes it is a nest. Try putting something like a sour cream cup upside down in there or something like that so that the bubble nest has something to float in so it wont break up.