what is next step

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Ok i am cycling the tank with fish in. The tank is a 29 gallong FW setup. I have done one water change on saturday last weekend. Tonight the test kit reads as follows:

Nitrate between 5 and 10 ppm
ammonia 2.0 ppm
nitrite 1.0 ppm

The water was added on the 30 of september so it has been cycling for 25 days. Should i do a water change or am i nearing the end of cycle? I know once all items drop to zero my tank is cycled and i must do a massive water change. I just don't want to overdo any work right now because i am afraid i will ruin what has occured in cycle process.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
since your cycling your tank with it already stocked, you need to keep the ammonia and nitrites down as close to 0 as possable. Do more frequent water changes. and test more frequently as well, since this is a 30 gallon tank i would do 50% water change test, then test again several hours later. say test before you go to bed and after you wake up, and after you get home. I made the mistake of stocking without cycling on my 29 gallon (it was my first tank) and found that schedule to be the best.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
the 'massive' water change at the end of the cycle is usually referring to a fishless cycle because of the buildup of nitrates.

I'd say your levels look fine, but if your nitrite gets any higher you ought to do a good 50% change or so. The water is not technically what is cycling, it is the bacteria building up and attaching to surfaces in your filter and on everything in your tank, so the levels in your water are just indicators of how that bacteria is doing and since you have fish in the tank already you need to skate that line between letting the tank cycle and keeping the levels low enough to not overly stress your fish.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
ok thank you all for your input. So when you cycle with fish in there really isn't a cycle period. I mean it occures but your main goal is still to have surviving fish and the cycle will occure naturally over time correct? I think my tank is going well as the fish show no signs of stress or anything due to the levels as of yet. I have even had one guppy give birth while this process is going on. I will do a water change this week and test again. I usually test daily just to keep close eye on the tank.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
well i tested the water again this morning, i am sitting at the following:

ammonia 0ppm
Nitrites 2.0ppm
nitrates 5.0ppm

So i will do a water change tonight and see how it goes. I am pleased that it shows my tank is cycling correctly, i did lose one fish over night one of the first guppies i bought decided to stop swimming and take an eternal nap. But he survived disease, tank change, and almost two complete cycles... so he was stressed major compaired to the others i guess. I will keep you all posted as by end of month my cycle should be near complete or somewhat close.

Oct 18, 2006
Oceanside California
Ok i did w/c two nights ago nitrites were at 4.0 ppm after w/c they dropped to 2.0 ppm. I wasn't happy with this so i waited 24 hours and today i did another w/c. My test results now read:

Ammonia 0 ppm
nitrites .25 ppm
nitrates 10 ppm

So this means my cycle is on last stretch or done correct? Now i just maintain my water and pray i don't get the fish diseases right?

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I think it appears that your tank is definitely on the home stretch with cycling. Its really truly only cycled if the ammonia and nitrites are both at 0 after 24 hours (and not after a water change heh) so keep up with those water changes anytime you see ammonia or nitrites up over 1 or 2 and hopefully they'll quit soon.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
Grumpy_Marine said:
how do you like the barbs you have? are they active fish or peacfull slow fish? I love guppies but am looking for other types. Thinking of barbs but dunno the charts i see say use caution with them together.
I like the barbs I have. They are both active. The tigers more then the Rosy. I will see how they mix in a couple of days. I am adding all my fish into a 75G tank. There shouldnt be any problems, I will have plenty of space for them to hide.

MAHA