What is RO/DI water?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
I'm slowly learning in this world of marine aquariums, and mainly because i have to in order to kill the algae that's attacking my tank. otherwise i'd just much rather stare at the tank, and be oblivious to the scientific side.

I think my algae may be the product of my tap water, so i think it's time to use deionized....RO? water. But what is that, can it only be acheived by purchasing a 2-5 stage unit that does it? or can you just buy it in jugs?

For example, is Evian RO/DI water? is it as beneficial? what do i look at on the package to know that it's RO/DI (in the event it doesn't say RO/DI). If the package says "Natural Spring Water" is that what i want?

Help?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
bottled water is not what you want to use...not only is it too expensive in the long run, but it has a bunch of other stuff in it. the RO (reverse osmosis)/DI (de-ionization) process basically reduces your water down to nothing but H2O through a variety of filters...from there you add your salt mix and it adds all the required elements, etc

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
25% every two days should be fine as long as youve got live rock in there...your biological filtration is in there anyway and if the water you mix is the same salinity as the qater you remove it shouldn't matter

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you will never get rid of all of it but it will get infinitely closer to zero. its like the old math thing, if you keep cutting something in half (or in your case, taking 1/4 off) will you ever reach the end?

Jan 9, 2005
Visit site
ahah that's what i was thinking when i changing the water. "If i'm adding some water one day, and then taking it out the next day...DAMNIT!". Either way, i guess infinitely closer to zero will have to surfice, so far the introduction of RO/DI water had worked perfectly and i'm only going to do the third water change today.