What is the fastest way to treat driftwood?

marcel

Small Fish
Mar 4, 2010
Ive been boiling my driftwood for 2 days now and the water is still light brown(weak tea colour). how can i speed up the process, btw which plants does silver dollars not like?

Feb 27, 2009
Boiling is the fastest way to release the tannins. There is nothing harmful to your fish to have tannins in the water, and carbon can remove it from the water. It is just looks.

When you say plants that silver dollars do not like, are you looking to plant an aquarium for some and want plants they won't eat?

Feb 27, 2009
I've seen them kept with java ferns and large sword plants. Anything else they tend to eat. Easier to use silk plants with them from what I've read.

What sized aquarium are you planning on for them?

Feb 27, 2009
Silver dollars are a large schooling fish that should be kept in groups of 5 or more.

Any peaceful fish of equal size can live with them.

Did you know they get 6-8 inches on average in size (about the size of a dinner plate)? I wouldn't keep them in anything smaller than a 55gallon tank, and even that would be pushing it.

Doomhed

Large Fish
Feb 11, 2003
Rhode Island
Visit site
if you like the look of silver dollars but dont want the size, go with black skirt tetras or glass tetras..very similar body shape, but you could put 10ish in a 40 gallon...and they won't eat plants.