what is the most effective way of removing waste from the bottom of your tank?

Apr 11, 2006
Hi, I got a question, overtime, wastes accumlate in the bottom of my tank. When I do water change, I am unable to get out the waste because if I vaccum the waste, I'll vaccum the sand as well. Is there in particular device out there that will get the wastes out without getting your sand?

Apr 11, 2006
I mean by using a plastic tube that you buy from the store, a vaccum plastic tube. Yes my sand is very fine. Will a protien skimmer do the job? or is it not neccessary?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Careful use of a syphon will get you there.

This has very little to do with what a protein skimmer does. If I had a lot of waste obviously accumulating I would wonder if I had enough flow, especially if this was on a coarser grainsize.

You could also try getting a cleanup crew to do the job biologically, but this brings it's own challenges.

Apr 11, 2006
I try using the clean up crew, but it seems like the clean up crew just contribute to the waste accumlation. I have 3 snails, one arrow head crab, and a globy(if he is even considered a clean up crew). Anymore suggestions??

Apr 11, 2006
saltwater84 said:
I try using the clean up crew, but it seems like the clean up crew just contribute to the waste accumlation. I have 3 snails, one arrow head crab, and a globy(if he is even considered a clean up crew). Anymore suggestions??

oh, and I have 2 powerhead in my tank. One head blow out about 250gal/hr and the other one blow out about 160 gals/hr. I also have two filters, one is the pengiun 150 and the other one is the pengiun 200.