what is this stuff?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I been noticing this "algea?" growing on my live rock. I wasn't sure if it was a regular thing or not but I'm pretty sure now that it aint as it's spreading. any idea what it is and how to remove it?

Attachments

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
It's cyano it's a bacteria not an algae and it is a PITA! I have my tank blacked out the next few days trying to get rid of it. Usually it's just part of the cycling process and the maturity of the tank. Mine isn't burning itself out though and it's getting worse.

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
Leaving the lights off for a couple of days might help (i.e blackout). When Hurricane Ike hit Texas two years ago I was without power for about four days. After that, my cyno/red slime went away and never came back. As mentioned, it seems to be part of the cycling process, as mine had only been set up for about six weeks at that point.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
What you have is not a true algae but is cyano bacteria. Though leaving the lights off will help the minute you turn them on you will have another outbreak unless you remove the root cause. Do a really good water change and remove what you can from the rock when siphoning during your water change. Increase the flow by adding or adjusting your powerheads. Reduce the amount you are feeding to help reduce dissolved organics which increase the nutrients in your water.....ie, nitrates and phosphates these feed the bacteria. Step up water changes until you see a reduction then maintain a good water change schedule. I don't really recommend using Chemi Clean or other antibiotic removal as it can alter your biological filtration and it doesn't really get to the root of your issue just treats the symptoms. Nutrient reduction through less feeding and more water changes, increase water flow are the long term answers.

quaddity

Large Fish
Feb 25, 2007
Mesa, AZ
www.myspace.com
I had mine blacked out for 65 hours and turned the lights on today and did a water change. About 95% of the cyano was gone the sand was white. There was some left on the rocks that I sucked off during the water change. My corals opened right up and all the fish were fine and hungry. Hopefully it doesn't come back as strong but I bet I see it growing on the sand when I get home from work in a few.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
nothin ever goes right for me this week. I was makin up a batch of saltwater for a water change. well I dropped my hydrometer and split it in half on the edge of the bucket. luckily I had not syphoned any water out of the tank yet.

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
got some turbo snails just for the fun of it cause they look kinda neat. well they are chowin down on that cyano like there is no tomorrow. I think I found a way to keep that cyano under control till I can get it perminantly removed, or at least as removed as it can get

Last edited: