what kind of sand

Dec 30, 2007
North fort myers,florida
I am getting ready to start my 120 gal tank and I want to know what kind of sand can I use.I dont want to spend alot for sand.Someone told me I could use play sand but I thought that had silicone in it.The tank will have live rock,snails,starfish and hermit crabs maybe a few fish.I was told that after a period of time all sand will become live not to waste money on bags of live sand.If someone could guid me in the right direction that would be great,

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
The type of sand your looking for is "aragonite" your right that you dont have to spend the extra $ on the live stuff since it wll become live on its own... I wouldnt use playsand . You CAN use it but you will end up with algae problems because of it... Oh and I think you ment silica not silicone :p

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
As far as where to get it from... I got some from one of the LFS's for like $15/40lbs but theres someone in my reef club that supplies it to alot of the LFS's in the area... You may want check with you local reef club and see where everyone in your area gets it from (I wouldnt want to pay shipping on 100 lbs of sand lol) SouthWest Florida Marine Aquarium Society

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
Somewhere around 100 lbs should be good unless you want a dsb than youll need alot more... the bags i get are 40lbs each so if thats the case is go with 3 bags