what kinds of fish get to 2 inchs long or more

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
and are NOT guppy eaters?

i'm looking for more options for my dad since he can't really see small fish w/o his glasses Also something that is active and that he would enjoy watching.

>_> Tank size would be a 55 gallon tank,cycled with gravel and decore from my 30 gal.

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
Are we talking guppy fry or full sized guppies? because almost anything will eat guppy fry. Dwarf Gouramis get about 2 inches and are peaceful. I think theres some types of barbs that get large too but they might be semi agressive.

Sep 19, 2006
If you were to only put full size guppies, I'd try some rainbows, like the bosemani or western (not the cheap 1.99 "australian rainbows" ). Simply because the colors will compliment and it will be a very colorful tank. He might even be able to see the dwarf rainbows because their body is larger (rounder) then most fish. The only problem I see with this mixture is that rainbows are very aggressive feeders and can be a little nippy at times. But, they are colorful and active. However, they don't go out of the way to nip others unless it's a rainbow.

basically, as someone else said, big fish eat little fish, you can't overfeed the big fish to get around this, simply because fish prefer live food.

you could also try rosy barbs (i've got neon tetra w/those), but stay away from young tiger barbs/green barbs/albino barbs (older ones would probably ignore them) My real suggestion, would be to nix the guppies in a 55gal, and do just the rainbows or other larger fish for your father in the larger tank. (but then again I'm not a big guppy fan LOL)

IDunnoWhy

Superstar Fish
Nov 16, 2006
Deerfield, WI
Well I would try Rosie Barbs or maybe Red Eye Tetra (but you really have alot of different choices). I've got the Tetras and they've been good community fish, Not nippy (except to each other) I've got them in a group of 5, I'd suggest at least that amount, Currently they're in with Neon Tetras (Much Smaller) no nipping, no problems. These Tetras are active and fun to watch, which is not the case with all Tetras.

Browse through the Profiles section of this site too, there is lots of info, on many different fish, as well as user reviews, I use that section often when choosing new fish. :D

Nov 14, 2006
Fishers, IN
www.myspace.com
An other tetra to try would be the black widow/skirt tetra - mine are all about 3" and very easy to see. I have a school of 6. Don't think they woudl bother the guppies - but as everyone else has said!!! I agree with Fishy - take them outta the 55! You would have many more options if you got rid of the guppies.
I also 2nd the rainbowfish - I even have the cheap 1.99 ones and they show a good amount of color.
You would open your options up if you put the guppies in a smaller aquarium though.
You could also add some loaches - I like the yoyos, but there are several different species that stay under 6" and will enjoy a 55G, these should also leave the guppies alone!

jessey

Large Fish
Dec 25, 2006
Tampa, FL
i do think you might have better luck without the guppies. it would give you tons of options - maybe you could even do some of the easier cichlids, since some get to be of relative size and are brightly colored.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
you could go with other livebeaerers. i think a nice tetra school would look nice, though.
and with enough hiding places, fake plants and decor, you would have some fry survive.
i would say a dwarf gourami would be nice

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Hoplo catfish or upside down cats (I think) won't eat guppies. Hoplos are hard to find though. Rainbows would be nice too.

How about hatchets? How big do they get?