What other fish get along with bettas fish?

Aug 8, 2007
i when to buy a 10 gallon tank and is set up but i only have a Betta on it and i want to know what other freshwater fish can i put with my Betta so that they get along?

skratikans

Large Fish
Jul 19, 2007
clemson,sc
any non aggressive fish that is not related to the betta..so no gourami...for example...you can keep neons..cardinals..even african dwarf frogs..i would recommend no more than two at the most...or you can do kuli loaches...or some small fish that dont have long fins...as the betta can nip at them and destroy them

but before you add any fish...do a full cycle...meaning ammonia readings are 0 and nitrite is also 0....only then is it safe to slowly start adding fish...

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
If you're not familiar with cycling, please take the time to read over either the stickies in the freshwater forum or the link in my signature.

Cycling is very very important, otherwise you will essentially kill any fish you put in there whether they fight or not.

fishnewbie

Medium Fish
Jul 2, 2007
arturo,
I agree with the above statements, after cycle is complete I would add some corys. Being a newbie to the hobby myself I believe you will be wishing you had bought a bigger tank to start out with, I bought a 30g as my first tank and I'm glad I did because it just gives me more fish options than a 10g.

justin