what powerheads do u recommand

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
Hey guys..i want to use my 2 aquaclear 402 powerheads with my future sump...and buy something more powerfull for my main tank. I was wondering what's the best buy...Rio, Aquaclear, something else ?

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Why are you using powerheads in a sump? Please tell I'm curious. I have just found a really cool new powerhead. SEIO super pumps. They oscilate and pump high volumes of water. Good quality made by Taam. Rios and aquaclears are good.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Don't use powerheads as return pumps as they don't work very well as they can't handle the head.. Get a pump specced for use as a return pump.
I like Hagens, and if I had a big tank I'd get a Tunze (1500 gallons an hour plus!). The seio looks good too, and aqua medics have a good rep. Oddly i hear the eheim aquaballs are quite dodgy.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
as wayne said, powerheads are not good for return pumps.

i have a Mag Drive 9.5 for a return pump and it has been great...and i think they are moderately priced. I also am running a Gen-X pump attached to a SCWD. I can never decide which I like better...the Gen-X is nice because it has a built in flow adjuster, but it can only be used in the sump. I think the Mag Drive is a little bit sturider in terms of construction and it can be used in and out of the sump

once you get a good return pump your flow worries should be taken care of unless you plan on keeping SPS corals. I do not have any powerheads in my tank, only the 3 return lines from the water pumps

DSK

Large Fish
Oct 12, 2004
Michigan
Visit site
In my opinion ( back to the original ?) - RIO's have never hert my feelings, i use rio's to get water from one tank to the other - they are also a workhorse.

And im with you ( KahlusZzZ) on the live rock The more the better.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
S. Reef - what rio.

Lets look at some numbers
Rio 600 - Max GPH 200- GPH at 4 feet = 0 9.5 Watts p hour
Rio 2100 - 692 - 375 - 25

Rio 600 - 0 gallons at 4 feet - 4 is a big way from sump to tank, but remember a 90 degree bend is worth a foot! Mind you these are cheap pumps, 15 and 35 dollars....

If you go the Drs Foster and Smith site you can find flow charts for some pumps they sell. Typically water pumps lose much less flow at a given head, especially low head heights like 4 or 5 feet.

I have no idea of the wear and tear effects of extra head on these pumps, but I doubt it does them any good...

SO you need to say to your self I have this big a tank on this size stand. I will plumb it this way with x number of 90 degree bends, and I want x gallons per hour to come out. Thus I will need this big of a pump, which will cost y dollars to buy and z dollars to run.
And then buy one size bigger.