What should i do?

Dragonet

Medium Fish
Mar 19, 2009
Kingston ON.
I was cleaning the back of my 29 gallon saltwater tank with some paper towel and glass cleaner, i put four squirts on the paper towel and wiped the back down then folded it to wipe it off but when my hand was over the tank it fell in. I imediatly took it out and put 5 ml of chlorine remover in, with this and a sea clone protien skimmer should they be alright?

Liam

Feb 25, 2008
Savage, MN
Well glass cleaner has ammonia in, along with other harsh chemicals. it so the chlorine remover wouldn't neutralize that. You should never clean your glass with anything except a clean rag dampened with water(DI) and then buff it with a clean dry rag. I use terry cloth rags like the ones you get at the auto supply store, and they are dedicated to the aquarium.

epond83

Large Fish
Mar 11, 2007
As far as i know protien skimmers don't remove chemicals, they remove organic solids. Charcol maybe a good idea, since it's used for removing chemicals, but i would think a water change, matching parameters whould be good also.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
the ammonia in the cleaner will be the same as ammonia created during a cycle. It will in turn be consumed with the result being nitrite. A large water change immediately will help, ammonia is extremely toxic to fish and should never be used in and around your tank. This goes for any chemicals that are airborne such as room sprays etc.