What should I expect after Bio-Spira and fish?

Apr 5, 2006
Edgewater, Maryland
Hello!

I recently 5 days ago added Bio-Spira to my tank and added 8 fish in my 70g. They all seem to be super happy, with no discernable crazy behaviors like swimming upside-down or anything. I had no ammonia before adding it, nor did I have any nitrite or nitrate.

Now, 5 days after adding fish and Bio-Spira, I am seeing a mini spike to ammonia of between 1ppm and 2ppm, and nitrite mini spike up to .25ppm. Are these spikes normal, and if so, what level is "safe enough" for the fish? Should I expect to see a little nitrite now since hte bacteria is breaking down the ammonia and growing? I assume in a little while I will see some nitrate pop up.

Am I having good/normal results? I am a first time fishkeeper, so any help you could offer would be greatly appreciated. I thin I did my research pretty well.

Thanks!

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Yeah this is pretty normal. We tried it, and had similar results. Altho I am a bit surprised by the low stocking levels in that tank with these readings. When we did it we used a 10 gal that was a bit over stocked and saw a mini cycle.

Keep an eye on things and do a water change if the levels get too high. It could be the biospira you got may have gotten warm at one point..making it useless.

Apr 5, 2006
Edgewater, Maryland
SO, am I right when I say that since there is nitrite, I have good bacteria in there that is changing the ammonia into the nitrite?

I may be totally off, but I am under the impression that the goo dbacteria changes the ammonia into nitrite, and then that into nitrate. I am also under the impression that nitrate is harmless up to a certain point, where it becomes poisonous. Water changes are the only way to remove nitrate except for plans/algae eating it, correct?

Thanks for the quick help!