What temp. is too high

Anja

New Fish
May 25, 2009
Texas
I have ICH *SICK* &Mouthrot in my tank, lost our goldfish last night :( I keep reading to raise the temputure and add salt BUT....not all fish can handle higher temps right? I'm new to this & just want to help my poor fish! I had treated for ich and then for the fungus but it seems neither is leaving! I've done PWC & my water is good as far as all the stuff it needs to have so....what am I doing wrong? Thanks for all your imput!!

janis

Small Fish
May 21, 2009
try water change. water change helps in removing some of the wastes that causes the infections. what other fishes do you have? goldfish can handle a range of temperatures. you can check THIS for other inputs.

ValRasbora

Superstar Fish
May 2, 2009
Atlantic Canada
Be careful not to use dyed "medicine" for fish- I made this mistake and regretted it- it dyed the sealer on my tank blue forevermore!
Adding aquarium salt is good- Even if your fish aren't sick because in the wild fish naturally have deposits of salt in their water. Well, goldfish are coldwater fish, so try to keep the heat somewhat low, I guess.

Last edited:

Anja

New Fish
May 25, 2009
Texas
The ich meds I used turned the watere blue and my orange Gouramis a pale, sickly looking gray in front! I keep thinking I'm going to loose them but they keep going, thank goodness! As for water change, done that, more then ones, I use the "vacumm" and thenadd more water plus all the stuff needed! I had put a glass in the tank with a tsp or 2 of salt and the guppies, barbs, and even the koi went in it but then I told not to do that so I took it out! I do however add salt when I change water! Thanks for all your help!!!!! You've been great!!!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Raise your tank temperature to 85 degrees for 14 days. If you have goldfish and gourami in the same tank, you need to rethink your stocking, they are not compatible in the same tank. Take a look at the link in my sig, "My Fish is Sick" has some other suggestions.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
I always believe in doing it the natural way before adding bogus meds into the tank. Everything label meds for fishy isnt always the greatest or best. So basically I go up to 72 - 76 F And just really watch your fish during the slow (raising heat process) look to see if its cutting to much oxygen from the tank. See if they come to the top more or w/e

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I always believe in doing it the natural way before adding bogus meds into the tank. Everything label meds for fishy isnt always the greatest or best. So basically I go up to 72 - 76 F And just really watch your fish during the slow (raising heat process) look to see if its cutting to much oxygen from the tank. See if they come to the top more or w/e
72-76 is normal temp for many fish. If you research the heat/salt (or alternatively, just heat) method for ich, you find that 85 is the temp to aim for. And yes you do have to observe your fish for stress. Extra aeration is a good thing.

BE SURE you absolutely have all the meds out of the tank before switching treatments. If you didn't do a big water change then you probably should do one.

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF
I agree with missfishy just raise it to around 85-90 degrees for 28 hrs or so. 28 hrs allows time for the juvenile ich to hatch, and the hot water will kill 'em real fast.

CoryGuru

Small Fish
Jun 1, 2009
SF
Be careful, some fish can outlast ich a while, but it can quickly turn deadly, so don't rely on their ability to cope with a skin eating virus, treat them like recommended quickly,(I hope you've got a heater!)

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Actually, it will kill the juvenile ich, but there will still be ich at other life stages in the tank. It takes about 14 days for an ich to go through its entire lifecycle, this is why you have to keep it up for the full 14 days, even if the ich appears to be gone, there could still be eggs in the tank.

Anja

New Fish
May 25, 2009
Texas
I do use aqua.salt, I even put a teaspoon in the tank in a cup and they go swim through it, seem to like it! It helped my Barbs to swim right again, I think! Are Black moor's & Shebumkins? goldfish? I have 1ea. they are doing great! I think I'm going to place the filters in tonight, give the meds a rest, did a water change this eveing, make SURE all the meds are out and then if the ich is back for sure try the salt& heat! Oh, I have a crap in there as well, can he handle the heat? I'm so glad you all are out there, I feel sooo lost!!! Thanks again....

RexyTexel

Large Fish
Apr 29, 2009
Maryland
Yes Black Moors and Shebunkins are goldfish. Goldfish doesn't mean the literal color of them as not all goldfish are gold! lol

When my fish came down with Ich I just raised the temperature to 90 degrees and used Ich Clear fizz tablets. Cleared it up in what seemed like a day. Then I did a huge water change. My fish did get some scale damage from the medicine but other than that he's been healthy ever since.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
90 degrees is too high. With the heat at 82-85 for two weeks, that will solve the problem with no meds. I don't know what a "crap" is, maybe you meant carp? Sounds like you need to review what you're keeping in your tank, you don't know their specific needs. Carp are NOT tank fish, they are large pond fish.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
90 degrees is too high. With the heat at 82-85 for two weeks, that will solve the problem with no meds. I don't know what a "crap" is, maybe you meant carp? Sounds like you need to review what you're keeping in your tank, you don't know their specific needs. Carp are NOT tank fish, they are large pond fish.
just to note, they may have meant a type of goldfish or Koi, because they are ornamental 'carp' by definition. The pond size carp that you mention are way larger and do live in lakes.

The tank has a major problem in itself with the coldwater/tropical mix. It's going to be hard to provide care for both at the same time. Note that you might stress/kill your goldfish if you turn the temp too high (even if it's to kill the ich).