What the H is this?

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
As I am up working late on a web server I thought I would check my tank out while I wait. I noticed something I haven't seen before. It's a slug looking like thing that doesn't have a shell and appears to be very thin. Tell me what you think. It's the thing in the middle just to the right of the dark button polyps.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
They are stomatella snails. They are harmless and they graze on algae. However they do reproduce like crazy, at one point I had probably 30-45 of them in all various sizes crawling up my glass at night. If you don't want that, I would start removing them as you see fit.

eva

Large Fish
Oct 18, 2006
burnaby, bc
Hey Joe I know I said before that its up to you if you want to take them out but I highly recommend controlling them before they explode ALL OVER your tank. The amount of them on my tank walls at night is absolutely disgusting. As much as we remove them, more keep coming! They have the ability to lose their "tails" if you cut them in half by accident and they can regenerate from that so be careful! You might not mind them now (which is what I thought in the beginning) but now I wish we had controlled the population as they do breed like crazy. Just a word of (helpful) advice.