What the @$$%^@

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Came home from work today and noticed somthing in my tank.got the 29g running a short cycle with my live rock in it and noticed somthing sittin at the bottom of the tank.I pulled it out and took a look and it looks like a clam,but were did it come from? there seems to be nothing in the shell,its empty and half open,its in the tank now after like a 3 sec look at it,do i keep it or throw it out?and were did it come from??:confused: :confused: :confused:

GRaff71884

Medium Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Saint Louis
Visit site
my live rock has had those little things come off it too. im not sure what it is, but its got little hairy things steming of it. don't get rid of it, it will grow coraline algae on it eventually. that was the first thing to grow good algae in my tank.

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
Hey,need help on a water test.... my PH is at 7.8 and my Ammonia is at .25,those im not too conserned about,its my nitrite and nitrates im worried about.the Nitrite is looking like a 5.0,not sure if thats ok but i cant get a reading on my nitrate becouse the color is red and the card only reads yellow threw orange,is this bad?and how do i bring it down?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
ph is a concern...get that up to 8.1-8.3

ammonia needs to be zero!
nitrite needs to be zero!
nitrates should read lower when those other two have bottomed out...

your tank is not nearly cycled...as for the clam these are fairly common and will either live or die, no biggie either way...as cfm says lots of goodies come on quality LR...sometimes even mushrooms or polyps if you get lucky

fait15

Medium Fish
Jan 15, 2004
California
Visit site
ok,on the ph it should be at 8.1? to make that climb should i use the superbuffer dkh i have? and to get the nitrate lower how do i achieve this?water change? and whats the best nitrite reading?

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Get your skimmer working! All the ammonia and nitrite is dragging down your pH. Do a water change, and wait for your short cycle to finish, then see where pH is at. I assume your live rock isn't cured fully. When you do the water change try to siphon out dead stuff from the tank bottom.