what to add to 10 gallon

Oct 11, 2005
i recently moved my plants to my 10 gallon...what should i do for animals? i was thinking maybe a frog? do i need the fish waste to hlep the plants grow

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
you probably dont NEED fish to help the plants...but it certainly couldn't hurt. You could put a betta and a frog and a snail in there...or get a small school of small fish (like some harlequin rasboras) and an apple snail. It'd be good to add something to keep any algae at bay (like the apple snail or a couple of ottos...assuming the tank is cycled?)

Shrimp work well for algea too.
At the risk of incuring un-ending wrath from some other members here there are actually quite a few fish that will be happy in a 10 Gal.
In addition to what Froggy said: small schools of small tetras (especially Embers), small corys (pygmy are the smallest you'll find but pandas stay relatively small too).
Of course Plecos, Angels, and most of the fish that you'll see pictured on the box of a 10 gal are not right for it.

The plants will benefit from some sort of "waste" in the water. Either natural NO3 created by the fish/bio-filter or you can purchase it and add as a fert.