What To Add To My Tank....

cm11599ps

Small Fish
Nov 13, 2008
I currently only have 3 fish in my tank described in my signature. I was debating about going salt or exchanging my current fish for smaller ones, but I'll guess I'll stick with what I have.

Since it's a Jellybean Parrot, I don't think it's going to be as big as a normal one.

What would be some good tank mates? Can I get a cray as well?

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
A cray is a possibility. You could even get a few.

One thing to note about crays is that you have to make sure they're large enough so that they do not become food for your fish when it comes molting time, and that they're not too large that they try to pick the fins of your fish.

I believe the pleco should be fine, and from my understanding, Dempsey's are pretty fiesty, so I think the cray would be the thing that should be watching out, rather than vice versa.

As for the Parrot, I am assuming you mean a blood parrot? The hybrid type? If that is the case, you should not have to worry about the parrot bothering the cray due to its mouth being so small and being unable to attempt to eat the cray.

As for the Jack, I think he is going to be the real damper on the potential tankmates for your tank. Jacks tend to be territorial, and can be rather aggressive. Your option could be to attempt to get some other cichlids for the same region that the jacks are from, but it is very likely that he might bother them and even attack them. Truthfully, I'm kinda surprised the jack hasn't bothered the parrot yet. Although I have not had experience from the jacks myself, I have heard some nice horror stories about my dad's jacks when he used to keep 4 of them in a 100 gallon.

Hope that helps. Feel free to hit me up on AIM if you want.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
A cray would end up as food in a heart beat, if its too big to swallow they will pick at it till it dies. And I also say that adding anything else to that tank is going to be sketchy with the tank size and the JD.

cm11599ps

Small Fish
Nov 13, 2008
For what it's worth, I have not seen the JD go after ANY fish that he has been swimming with. He's been with silver dollars, parrots, pleco and 2 other cichilds I don't know the name of.

I also can't say the JD has been territorial at all either. Is it possible I have a docile JD or will he get more aggressive as he grows?

cm11599ps

Small Fish
Nov 13, 2008
I ended up getting 2 tinfoil barbs, a lemon yellow, 2 silver dollars and an oscar. So far, so good. I had just rearranged the aquarium before adding the new guys to offset any territorial issues that might be present, but honestly I can't say I've ever seen any. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Your tinfoil barbs will be very unhappy in the tank, the silver dollars will be scidish, so provide plenty of hiding places because they might just do that with those big fish, and the oscar will get huge. I do really hate to say this stuff, but the tank is way overstocked for territorial space and bioload. I don't think you could keep up that bioload if the fish tank was a whirlpool. I think you just have too many BIG fish for a 55. I don't know exactly what a lemon yellow is, but I'll probably go look it up. Maybe more people will jump on this thread and help you out, but I'm pretty sure most will agree that your fish are going to be very unhappy and quite possibly die.

EDIT: Yellow lab is the name I call it that's where I got mixed up. He'll be the smallest in the tank and might end up food for one of the giants.

Jun 21, 2008
While I haven't kept large fish before, that does seem like an awful lot of fish for one 55 gallon tank. I think you have some serious overcrowding potential. It may be fine for now, but it sounds like you may have some problems long term.

cm11599ps

Small Fish
Nov 13, 2008
Thanks guys. The silver dollars are actually in a different tank, I failed to mention that. I also plan on getting a MUCH larger tank in the future to house everyone, or at the very lest, SOME of the current guys.

Either that or have 2 55's. I'm undecided.