What to do with fry?

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
I have a bunch of fry right now, they are mollies. They are doing incrediably well in the big tank with the other fish. I have since learned that mollies breed really fast and easy, what do I do will all of the fry that I get? My tank won't support them all. My husband won't let me get another tank. Can the be sold on Ebay? Here? I would ship them if they could

i had that same exact problem except mine is with guppies and my dad wouldnt let me get another tank. What i did was feed some to my angel i had and give some away to my mom's friends and one of my friends who had a tank too. My lfs doesnt accept fish but u can try to ask the people at your lfs (just in case u dont know lfs stands for local fish store :)) if they accept it then u can give it to them. U can always try ebay but mollies aren't worth the shipping so generally people dont buy them and they are so easy to breed. Oh and one thing to remember is not to throw them into the local pond or something cause it could really mess up the environment

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I know people stop feeding mollies for awhile and they eat the fry themselves.
When I had the problem long time ago I learnt not to deal with mollies anymore in my life. Although some babies can be very amusing. They can have curious abnormalities or some interesting coloration.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I would let the female mollies just remain in the main tank so that when they give birth the rest of the fish get tasty little snacks. This will cure you mollie overpopulation problem with no input on your part, and it is what would happen in nature anyway. If you are philosophically opposed to allowing "fish incompatibility" between fry and hungry fish then you have got other problems that require other solutions.

Snack time!

kll1221

Large Fish
Mar 2, 2005
Michigan
Yep that is how I have it, I don't have them seperated. They are gaurding the fry, the mollies are. I would have thought they would have had a snack by now. I was going to give them to my friend but she doesn't want them because her pleco would eat them. :(