What to do with the DamselFish

PuNanny

Large Fish
Feb 6, 2006
Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany
I have Yellowtail Damselfish in my tank for cycling just planning ahead i dont know what to do with the fish I'm planning for clowns,tang, pretty much Nemo and his friends but the Damselfish wont be able to hang with them or is a yellowtail damselfish the least aggersive? Besides that the germans dont take fish back once you buy them so the fish is SOL unless i figure a way so he could be with the other fish.

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
i have clownfish and a yellow tang and even with a tang twice its size, the yellowtail attacked him....then my 2 yellowtails tried to kill each other. I gave them away...they are super territorial.
if you have a sump, maybe put it in there until you find someone ready to accept your damsel ?

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
damsels eats almost anything...formula one is great food. Well you can try your other but...if it's hiding...check why it's stressed. Check your params.
I cruely cycled with damsels too ( shame on me )..and they looked pale and their tales were reddish. They eventually got better. Ammonia is a huge stress test for those hardy fishies, and if the damsel is sick, well you asked for it ( i did ).
Anyways....you still can use a cheap and useful product called "Prime" by Seachem. If reduces the toxicity of ammonia and nitrite. Worked for me, worked for 2 friends. Better warn you that your test results atfer using this product may go crazy, but it's normal. Also your tank can smell weird...normal too.

PuNanny

Large Fish
Feb 6, 2006
Ramstein Air Force Base, Germany
Yeah i have that product Prime would it be safe to add it with him in there. I added him the day I got the LR Plus germans dont sell damselfishes this was the only one they were going to have in another 5 months so I was in a bind to get one. but yeah i asked for it.

Feb 28, 2005
Waterford, CA
KahluaZzZ said:
damsels eats almost anything...formula one is great food. Well you can try your other but...if it's hiding...check why it's stressed. Check your params.
I cruely cycled with damsels too ( shame on me )..and they looked pale and their tales were reddish. They eventually got better. Ammonia is a huge stress test for those hardy fishies, and if the damsel is sick, well you asked for it ( i did ).
Anyways....you still can use a cheap and useful product called "Prime" by Seachem. If reduces the toxicity of ammonia and nitrite. Worked for me, worked for 2 friends. Better warn you that your test results atfer using this product may go crazy, but it's normal. Also your tank can smell weird...normal too.
you like formula one kahluaZzZ...I bought it and its like a gelly cube? lol. I dont think my fish like it as much as brine, mysis, and emrald entree

bdub

Small Fish
Feb 5, 2006
Jacksonville, FL
My yellow damsel was the calmest of all 4 of my damsels. The poor guy would hide under anything he could find to get away from the other mean ones.

I just took mine to the local petco, they took them all. Didn't know what else to do......couldn't keep them.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Just keep it - mine was not too bad at all - I returned him as he was being neaten up by everything else in my tank. There are about 5 species of damsel sold as yellow tailed blue, so it depends on what you got.

You will be finding that outside the US damsels are not regarded as disposable objects..... you buy it, you keep it. If you don't want it, why buy it?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
He should be... there isn't much different between a rubbermaid sump and a tank sump, he might even like it better cause he can hide better. Probably don't want to keep him in the dark all the time though (like don't have the sump under the stand if you put a fish in it, or if you do have a light on it).

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I just turned over 5 blue/greenchromis to the local lfs.......they beat up my clown and killed it.....they ran my tank little beggars.....for them a 15 g rubbermaid tub would be too good for them....It took me a week to catch them and then I only did because I caved and bought a fish trap. The lfs took them and put them in with about 20 or so of their ilk and they promptly took over that tank too......

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I don't know but if you are really lucky they will jump right from the big tank into the rubbermaid tub and save you a pile of work catching the little damnsels.