what to do with unwanted fish

phishy

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2006
east coast
most LFS will not buy the fish back but here in the USA the LFS will take them if you donate them good luck by the way I like the way your tank looks clean and nice.

phishy

Small Fish
Mar 20, 2006
east coast
even though you are in belgium most LFS will not buy fish back but will take if you donate them, unless you frequent one particular so much that they will credit you for the fish.

stef25

Medium Fish
Nov 28, 2005
Brussels, Belgium
I’m at a loss as to what I should do with my two bala sharks: they are seriously jumpy and nervous. While their tank is a bit too small (29G), I feel this is not the only reason they are like this.

Sometimes they jump up against the hood so hard you can hear it the room next door. It makes me apprehensive of approaching the tank and when people rush up to the tank to have a closer look I’m already tearing my hair out going “watch out!”

They are so jumpy it makes tank maintenance extremely tough: hovering the gravel and maintaining the plants is impossible, I have to be very gentle with changing lights, water changes, fixing filter tubing, etc etc. Furthermore, they aren’t very active fish and just tend to “hover” in place and are not much fun to look at.

In other words, their presence makes me not enjoy the tank a lot. The other fish I have in there (previously clown loaches, now golden barbs) are so joyful, always doing laps around the tank etc. It makes me think I would prefer it if the bala's are not there

What should I do with them? No chance that any shop will take ‘em back and I certainly do not want to sell em for a dollar on ebay to some 12 year old …

Running out of ideas fast …

jwddboy

Small Fish
Apr 9, 2006
:eek: Your tank is much too small for them! Otherwise they would be jumping less and moving more! Either get a bigger tank for them (I have 2 in my 105gal), try and sell them to a shop or friend, or in some cases aquariums will tank fish but i highly doubt they will take bala sharks. If you possibly can, get them into a larger tank. If you decide to buy a new one, aask your LPS to hold them for you in one of their larger tanks while you cycle at home.