what to do

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i wanna know what i could put in my 5 gallon tank now that my betta has died ;_;,any ideas?

Also i bought some drift wood about 2 days ago,would it be safe to add to my 30 gal when i get a chance?

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
It depends, do you want a centerpeice fish like a betta is.. i.e. one fish, or in a 5 gal. maybe a few small fish. i.e. tetras?

Also have you soaked the drift wood in a bucket of hot water for a few days? to remove the tanins.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i know i'm gonna soak it for 5 days in cold and another 5 in hot and then rinse it before putting it in,i wonder will the ph go crazy?

I want to put my new betta flame in it but i want something else in their with him.

Guysy1110

Large Fish
Oct 26, 2006
essex
go for the betta then and some black skirt tetras.

i dont think you need to soak the drift wood for that long! lol. Do a day in hot water, then empty the brown water, refil weth hot water and wait till it goes brown until the water does not brown so quickly. i would say 3 days probably.

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
i wanna really soak this thing though it was so dang dusty when i got it that when i got it home the white bag it was in was brown o.e, I payed 50 cents for it already on slate, it's the cheapest amount of money i've ever seen driftwood sale for.

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
If you decide on tetras, get something smaller than black-skirts (aka 'black-widows'). Full-grown they're really too big for a tank that size, IMO.

A cray might do okay...just make sure it is a N. American cray and not an Australian one (they get too huge). If you're wanting to see one live in that size of tank for its whole life, I'd get a dwarf cray or something that stays a bit smaller. Blue allenis and other crays that are more common can often exceed 6 inches once full-grown.

BV

S-kate

Large Fish
Oct 21, 2005
Ithaca, NY
The drift wood shouldn't alter the pH too much. I got mine for cheaper than you, I found it in a creak and then boiled it for a good 6 hours. 50 cents is quite a steal though. *thumbsups

Heres an idea:

1 betta
2 otos
3-5 ghost or cherry shrimp

Katome556

Large Fish
Oct 16, 2006
Russell,Kansas
well she was gonna give it to me but i told her she should at least get something outta it.>x> and my dad would probly eat the cray if it out grew the 5 gal jk .And k i was kinda worried the ph would kinda take a toss and go around the world a few times.Thats not a bad idea of a betta and tank mates i may do that =D.

Plee_cO

Large Fish
Nov 5, 2006
Daytona Beach, FL
driftwood isnt completely safe until it has been soaked for as long as 3 to 4 weeks, or until it stops turning the water that wierd amber color. a trick someone tought me once, boil the driftwood. if you boil it then soak it, youll notice that the water doesnt change color at all. after driftood is boiled for about 10 to 20 minutes(depending on size) it is almost immidiately ready to put in the tank. boiling also helps when you have a piece that wont sink. for anyone who doesnt believe me, test it yourself. boil driftwood for 20 minutes, the put it in a bucket of water. test the levels before and after the driftwood is put in, and they wont change. wow long reply.huh oh well