what to feed tire track eel

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
i have posted on the general board, but didn't get much response.  anyone know a good way to feed tire-track eel? or other slow moving predatory fish, for that matter?
i have been using white worms til now, but i have not yet estabished a fully grow culture yet, so what would be a good subsitute?  

ryuken168

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Big Apple, NY
Nice eel, I've been looking for a small one, but no luck. I just saw a 14" tire track at a LFS yesterday. Try subsituting the worms for market shrimp. That is what my slow moving Bichir eats. I de-shell them and cut it into bit size pieces.

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
the main reason that i have trouble feeding him is because he stayed at the bottom, out of reach of floating dry bloodworms...
the problem went away now for he can swim fairly well and fast now, dispite what i thought at first.  with his long beak, he picks out bw from duckweeds, which other fishes usually miss.  he is only 3" at most, and i hope he won't grow up very soon.  

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
you live in NY right?
i bought the fish in a LPS in staten island.  They had a small fire eel too when i was there.  
you tank offer is very temping, i wouldn't hasitate to buy it if i have my own house.  but for now, i am just a poor college student.
*laughingcryingsmiley*

ryuken168

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Big Apple, NY
Yep Queens, NY. The Tire track eel that you brought is it the black one w/ red dots and lines? cause that is the one I'm looking for. Do they have anymore at the shop and what is the price? If the price is good then it's worth the  bridge toll to get one.

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
eee, i thought there is only 1 kind of tiretrack.

i got it for $5

the other one they have is fire eel

it might be once in a blue moon they have it, so i am not sure if they still had it
*twirlysmiley*

v3x10e8

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
according the some sources they do, and i have seem the fire eel at my LFS hide under a internal filter.  Fire eel might be more agressive than tiretrack, but the looks certainly makes up for it.
actually i think they do become free swimming, once they are used to the enviroment, but they need their caves and corners to hide in.

fishboy

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Cincinnati, Ohio
[quote author=v3x10e8 link=board=pred&num=1028673749&start=0#6 date=08/10/02 at 18:48:04]
eee, i thought there is only 1 kind of tiretrack.

i got it for $5

the other one they have is fire eel

it might be once in a blue moon they have it, so i am not sure if they still had it
*twirlysmiley*
[/quote]

wow! They are really neat looking! And colorful *celebratesmiley*