what to put in 6-gallon freshwater tank

Jun 23, 2008
north carolina
i need some suggestions about what/how many to put in new, (running, cloud/test free for 3 days) 6-gallon freshwater tank. i have a betta female that i want to put in there along with some others, hopefully up to 5, i already have 3 dalmation mollies, and betta male in their separate tanks. any suggestions, anything is welcomed!!! =)

tom91970

Superstar Fish
Jan 2, 2007
Tejas
www.myspace.com
First of all, welcome to MFT! You say this tank has been running for three days? Did you use a used filter or anything from an established tank?

If it's not cycled hold off on adding any more fish. As for keeping some more fish in a 6g with a female betta you could try for an oto or two, or maybe a few ghost shrimp.

Jun 23, 2008
Sutter Creek, CA
first, after just 3 days a new tank would not be filtered, even if you moved gravel from a totally cycled tank it takes at the least a week before the bacteria is enough to break down waste matter produced by any fish. second, a six gallon tank is not a very big tank and fish, even though stores advertise that you can put mulitiple fish in a small tank, the fish usually will grow stunted or their life expectancy will be shortened.

if you do want to put multiple fish in, pick some kind of fish that doesnt get very big like neon tetras or guppies. but before you put fish in it is critical to cycle the tank completly. there are several ways to do this so read up onit and find the one that fits your requirments best.

good luck with the new tank!

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
A 6 gallon (once it's completely cycled) is the perfect size for a betta and some small tank mates like shrimp OR a couple of Ottos OR some Pygmy Cories