What type now?

roweb_13

Small Fish
Oct 28, 2006
I've asked this question alot but i still have no idea what to get. At the moment I have 6 neon tetras in my 10g, any suggestions to other fish I should get for the tank?

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
With a school of small fish, I think the next thing to get would be a "center piece fish." This entirely depends on your preference and what kind of fish interests you. Some to consider are a betta, gourami(a powder blue would probably really set off the neons colors:)), or paradise fish. You should only keep one of these kinds of fish in your tank. After adding the centerpiece, you should be able to add a bottom feeder or two. Probably an otto would be best, just make sure they have enough to eat in the tank, otherwise you'll have to feed them seperately. Some ghost shrimp would make a nice addition too. :) Good luck!

This is all assuming your tank is fully cycled of course. :) 0 ammonia, nitrites, and nitrate. If you don't have that yet, definitely hold off on getting more fish.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I would *not* put a paradise fish in with neons, or other small tetras. A dwarf gourami would work well though. Or, a couple of platies or guppies, but get only males unless you want babies. And, like MissFishy suggested, an otto or a few pygmy cories for the bottom.

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
I had a paradise fish in a 37g with black neon tetras... within a few hours, he had eaten the eye out of one tetra and a chunk of gill cover off another-he went back to the store (still have the 1-eyed tetra). They just aren't good with little fish. Another harassed platies, but left danios alone (presumably because they're faster).

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Paradise fish can be aggressive -- moreso than a typical gourami. They tend to be especially aggressive with conspecifics. They also prefer cooler water than neons (which is why they're one of the original "aquarium" fish)