What type of filtration is best for a reef tank?

nealio

Large Fish
Aug 23, 2006
I have a 50G hex I'm starting to set up and I am reading a bunch of articles about different types of filtration for reef tanks. I don’t want go crazy on filtration if I don’t need it all.

I have seen all types of different setups, and I plan to have an hang on overflow that goes to a sump with a protein skimmer and then have it return.
Would that be enough or should I add more filtration?

If there is a better filtration soultion that you guys use, I would love some help!

Thanks!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
The only filtration you need is a deep sand bed of approx 5 inches deep and OPTIMALLY 2 lbs of live rock per gallon, though some say you can get away with 1lb per gallon though I think closer to 2 is better. That's it. The live rock and sand will provide the filtration the secret is to ensure that your tank cycles properly (without fish) and that you go slowly to ensure that your bioload isn't suddenly overwhelmed and you will be fine

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
live rock and lots of flow

as for a protein skimmer in a tank that size you should look into a protien skimmer, and if its a reef tank your planning its almsot a neccesity.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'd never recommend more than a pound a gallon. 2 per gallon is an old rule based around live rock like bricks (Tampa Bay!). You need much, much less IndoPacific as it is so much more 'open' in texture.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Wayne I agree....I have very porous Marshall Island and have 125lbs in my 75g and I probably could have gotten away with less as it has a huge surface area. That is what you want with live rock.....surface area for the bacteria to adhere to and pods etc to hide in.......light airy rock is far superior to dense brick like rock. That is why the non aquacultured rock is more expensive as you obtain more filtration/lb and don't need as much