What type of lighting is optimal?

Apr 10, 2005
I'm in the process of setting up a 60g fish & reef display tank with a liverock only 40g refugium under the stand (no fish, no coral, just some cleaning critters).

Both tanks for 36" long.

For the main fish bowl (reef & fish), I'm looking at the Coralife Aqualight Pro w/ one 150w 10K metal halide, two 65w actinic blue compact fluorescents, one 1w lunar led I would like to eventually work up from easy lower light corals, to more exotic & light-demanding species, using depth placement to balance the varying lighting requirements of the various coral types. Am I on the right track? If not, what would be your recommendation? The tank is 20" deep.

For the lower 40g refugium with just live rock and sand (A LOT of live rock and sand), what would be appropriate with minimum expenditure? (I'll be broke for a long time after the reef lighting purchase). Its 16" deep.

Any explanation and advice would be welcomed. I'm not stuck to any brand name or model, just referenced the above as a starting point.

Thanks.

PK

Last edited:

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
you can use normal output florescent bulbs for the refugium...for the display i think you are going to want at least two MH bulbs or else you will get the spotlight effect. I would look for a fixture with a couple double ended HQI bulbs. if you want to go for a coralife they make a 36" 2x150w 20000k HQI MH setup. ought to give you enough blue that you wont need the PCs

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
A 3 foot should be ok on a single bulb but be you might need to think about aquascaping issues at the end. I would agree a double ended 150 with a decent reflector would be ok.

For the sump, as you're not growing algae, whatever.