what water conditioner do you use?

homebunnyj

Superstar Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Western NC
I use AquaSafe too. It works fine, but I've been wondering lately if there's a more economical choice... as in, one that goes farther (use less). It seems that with as many tanks as I have up, I buy AquaSafe a bit more often than I like. I dunno, maybe cost-wise, they all work out about the same. Any opinions based on personal experience as to whether some water conditioners are more economical than others? Maybe I should try to find larger quantities online. (just kind of thinking out loud now)

Etheostoma

Large Fish
Aug 28, 2005
Missouri, USA
Sodium thiosulfate (mix my own start right), selenite, and natural sea-salt. I've got a vial of copper sulfate crystals for the occasional bout with any generic problem like ich, lip fungus, or fin rot. Haven't had to break into it for two years or more.

Mostly I just use the homemade start right during water changes. Generally I don't have any problems once I've got a tank established.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
homebunnyj said:
Maybe I should try to find larger quantities online. (just kind of thinking out loud now)
I just got a big bottle from bigals, think its a 1/2 gallon? If you're willing to pay a little extra up front I'm sure you'd get a much better deal getting a larger amount online. I actually re-use the little stress coat bottles over and over again from the big bottle.

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
These simply doesn't work as indicated by the manufacturers. If they did, then water changes are not necessary.
If you could chemically show me how these products remove NH3, NH4 or NO3, I would gladly use them. But I refuse to accept the fact these product such as Amquel or Seachem Prime as a magical element.

Rohn

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
Can you prove that these chemicals remove Cl2. FYI: If let the water stand for about 48hrs the dissolved Cl2 will dissipate regardless whether you add these products or not.

I have cut pasted statemnt about Amquel
One of the best and most effective detoxifiers. Use 1 teaspoon per 10 gallons of water to eliminate deadly chlorine or chloramines and detoxify harmful ammonia. Great for water changes, crowded aquariums, during a saltwater mix, or to reduce or remove medication dyes. For fresh or saltwater, 16 oz treats 960 gallons.
Now can you tell me exactly how it detoxify NH3. NH3 is converted to what, more NO2 or NH4 or what. Show me proof not just a statement. The above is statement from Amquel but doesn’t show me how it is done. Unless it magical, ,they should be able to show us using a empirical chemical formula otherwise it is just baseless statement.

Rohn