What will i need for my tank?

Apr 13, 2011
hey people, i am here to ask about the equiptment i will be needing for my fish tank.

What is the best filter for a 30 gallon fishtank?
What is a good heater for the fish tank cause i wish to have oto's and other tropical fish?

Im new to this, so please make some suggestions on what i will need. I have a filter but i dont know if it is capable of filtering a 30g tank.

thanks

achase

Large Fish
Feb 1, 2010
British Columbia, Canada
So you are getting/have a 30 gallon tank? Have you cycled tanks before? If not, in my signature there is a link to a how to guide.
If you are wanting to establish a healthy/safe aquarium for tropical fish you will need to have a properly cycled tank. Otos are quite sensitive about cycling from what I hear.

Personally I like Power Filters and the brand I use on my tanks are Aqueon QuietFlow's.
I find they work well and are a reasonable price. Although there are lots of other good brands to choice from.

There are tons of different brands for heaters and basically it's your choice. I would recommend a submersible heater(s). For a 30 gallon tank I think you would 150 watts. So you could achieve that buy purchasing a 150 watt heater or adding multiple heaters.
Heaters come in a variety of wattage (25, 50 74, 100, 150, 250). Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

What type of filter do you currently have? I usually go for over filtration rather than under filtration.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2011
According to my advice You have the essential equipments for you aquarium,35 liter tank is not big enough, though it is enough for the guppies. Almost all catfish grow more than 12''. And also they will eat all your fries before it starts swimming. So keep away from Catfish.
Another thing you can add is Neon tetras along with your fish .

Thyra

Superstar Fish
Jun 2, 2010
Yelm, WA
I agree with Achase on the Aqueon Filters. They are easy to handle. Petco by mail has some decent prices on them and they have $4.99 shipping, but it ends today. (Over $49 is free)

Nov 5, 2009
CT
According to my advice You have the essential equipments for you aquarium,35 liter tank is not big enough, though it is enough for the guppies. Almost all catfish grow more than 12''. And also they will eat all your fries before it starts swimming. So keep away from Catfish.
almost all of this is terribly incorrect. first of all he said a 30 gallon tank not 30 liters. 30 gallons is 113.5 liters. secondly even if he had said liters, 35 liters comes to almost 10 gallons. plenty of room for much larger variety of fish than your suggested guppies. which brings me to point three, this nonsense about almost all catfish growing larger than 12". there are 177 species in the family Callichthyidae, which make up 7% of all catfish, none of which get close to 12". the largest member of the Otocinclus family, which is what he was talking about getting, only grows to be just over two inches.

Kiara1125

Superstar Fish
Jan 12, 2011
Florida
Is it just me, or are there a lot of spambots lately. MFT, I'm also currently setting up a 30 gallon fish tank. My advice is to over filter. I'm getting this type of filter, but no heater because the tank is for Goldfish and (possibly) White Cloud Minnows (starting out with them to cycle the tank and them I might just keep them or get a new batch and keep those. They are beautiful, healthy, hardy, easy to keep, and at my lfs for 12 for $2.49).
Aqueon® Power Filter QuietFlow 50 - Power Filters - Filters - PetSmart

Apr 13, 2011
So you are getting/have a 30 gallon tank? Have you cycled tanks before? If not, in my signature there is a link to a how to guide.
If you are wanting to establish a healthy/safe aquarium for tropical fish you will need to have a properly cycled tank. Otos are quite sensitive about cycling from what I hear.

Personally I like Power Filters and the brand I use on my tanks are Aqueon QuietFlow's.
I find they work well and are a reasonable price. Although there are lots of other good brands to choice from.

There are tons of different brands for heaters and basically it's your choice. I would recommend a submersible heater(s). For a 30 gallon tank I think you would 150 watts. So you could achieve that buy purchasing a 150 watt heater or adding multiple heaters.
Heaters come in a variety of wattage (25, 50 74, 100, 150, 250). Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

What type of filter do you currently have? I usually go for over filtration rather than under filtration.
thanks for the feedback, No i have not cycled a tank before. But i will follow you guide and do so. I will have to buy a new filter because mine is just a sponge and i would like a bio one. thanks again!!

Apr 13, 2011
The plan was to have some tetras, but i really don't know the best fish to go with them. Could you please list some??

Apr 13, 2011
almost all of this is terribly incorrect. first of all he said a 30 gallon tank not 30 liters. 30 gallons is 113.5 liters. secondly even if he had said liters, 35 liters comes to almost 10 gallons. plenty of room for much larger variety of fish than your suggested guppies. which brings me to point three, this nonsense about almost all catfish growing larger than 12". there are 177 species in the family Callichthyidae, which make up 7% of all catfish, none of which get close to 12". the largest member of the Otocinclus family, which is what he was talking about getting, only grows to be just over two inches.
Thankyou for giving me the correct advice. There are a lot of spam bots out there ready to give you false information :\

THANKS!!

Apr 13, 2011
I would recommend making an air pump your priority in my experience it makes the fish livelier because there’s more oxygen in the water. As well add a light then you can see them at night as well, but other than that it sounds great. One problem which you may have is that with it being near a window then it may go green and algae start growing everywhere.
Thanks for the advice. I am know most likely going to add some oxygen into my tank. I have being researching it for a week know and it seems to be a good idea. It also sucks cause my room is quite small and the windows lights up the whole room without any shade but ill just close the blinds during the day :) and maybe do the day time and night time light cycle

thankyou!