What would be a better purchase?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
So I am looking to add to my current 20H tank's equipment. It is running with a 130W CPF light, a 204 Fluval, two maxi-jet 400 power heads and a heater. I am getting RO water at Wal-mart but I don't know when the machine was last serviced. It's been running for jsut over 3 months and last tiem I checked my levels ammonia, nitrite, nitrate were 0, pH was 8.2, salinity and alkalinity were fine. Those are the only test I have.

I have a small cyano problem, which I am trying to get rid of by cutting back on lighting (8 Hours) but its not very successful. I am right now contributing it to the fact I have a canister filter running on the tank. I would like to replace the canister with a skimmer, which would hopefully help with the cyano, granted my water is really RO. Or maybe my cyano will go away with time? Will the replacement of the canister cause a ammonia spike?

Another purchase idea would be to setup a sump with a CPR CS50 overflow and a ten gallon tank and probably a rio pump. I would make the sump my self with just an intake section, place for rock and heater and then probably a bubble trap to the return. Later I could add a small skimmer to this but right now it would just replace the canister. The canister media would most likely be added some where in the sump for cycling reasons.

Sump would cost a bit more (overflow being the most expensive for the sump) and the skimmer would be the easiest to add on. I am concerned that the skimmer would take away too much flow/filtration from the canister and not be as helpful although I don't know which I would buy (suggestions?) The sump sound like a good idea, just a bit more of a project.

What would you guys suggest? I am also planning on adding more rock soon (currently about 20lbs). But what would be the best addition to the tank's health and maintenance right now?

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
u wanna test the r/o water with a tds meter... they are pretty cheap and can sometime be found at like cvs or a place like that for $10-15 ... im willing to better the water coming out of that machine isnt much better than whats coming out of the tap! only way to tell is with the tds meter tho!

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
yeah, i just buy it for the peace of mind that it might be better than tap... Just purchasing a R/O machine for a 20 gallon tank seems kinda ridic.

I'm gonna look around for a TDS meter but any suggestions on whether a skimmer or sump is a better idea? and which skimmer? the nano remora looks okay?

Last edited:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I'd say go for a skimmer first. Make sure you get one you can use with the sump later on.

The sump (assuming it has a refugium) will help with phosphates and nitrates.

In the meantime, try adjusting the flow in the tank to help get rid of the cyano.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I have power heads shooting right at where I am getting most of the cyano... I'll try adjusting a bit more but IDK... What do you mean make sure the skimmer can work on the sump?.. wouldn't they both just hang there or I guess I gotta make sure the spacing and depth works....

Would one of those hang on back refugiums be a better idea? I've seen them with skimmer in them.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I would get a good skimmer such as the regular AquaC Remora hob. You can always hang this on the sump later. It is a good skimmer and one that would easily handle a 55g or so if you were to upsize later. Just make sure that you get the maxijet and not the rio pump on it. YOu can pick one up on ebay relatively cheap and they work amazingly well for a hob skimmer. Most of the others are air injection and rely on airstones or need too much tweaking to get to run properly. I would pass on the hob refugium and wait a while and just go with a regular sump/refugium. Easy to make out of a 10g or even a 20L with plenty of room for a skimmer.

Either way if you got a sump you would still need a skimmer......get the skimmer now it will help immensely with your cyano, increase the flow and get rid of the canister and you are good to go. You should look for an lfs that sells water that way you are sure you are getting good quality r/o water. I too used to buy water from the kiosk.....eventually bought a good r/o system and haven't looked back.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I can't really find a place that sells RO water yet besides that kiosk. I am probably gonna get the regular remora hob with the m/j 1200.

Does the skimmer add to the current since it is powered by a pretty powerful pump(295 g/h) for my tank? My two powerheads now add about 100g/h each plus my canister is almost another 200. Will the skimmers flow compensate for the canister's flow or will it not be enough?

basically with what I have now, if I replace the canister with the skimmer will I also need a new Powerhead?

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
well flow also helps keep stuff clean and filtered...although thats what the skimmer is doing too... I don't know..

I think I have to wait on the skimmer till later cause of money. I appreciate all the advice though.