what would be go to go with my zebra danios

CJAC

New Fish
Jan 9, 2006
I have a 20 gal tank that i have recently set up. Right now I have 10 Zebra Danio's. I was just wondering what would be some good fish to go with the Danio's to add a little diversity? I’am open to any suggestions.

I was wondering if i could put a male Betta with them?

thanks

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
Cherry barbs... they are nice and active like the danios, but they will add some color. Platies or mollies or (if you have a very good cover) swordtails will all get along fine with danios. Pretty much anything you see listed as "community" should get along with danios, especially since you've got enough of them so they shouldn't pester other fish. Check out your local stores and see what's available that you like, then do some research to make sure they will fit in a 20g and they will work with danios.

A male betta might be okay, since you've got enough danios that they should just bother each other, but then again they might decide to go after his tail. A female betta would definitely be fine in there (without a male). They are just as colorful, but they don't have the long tail to tempt other fish.

CJAC

New Fish
Jan 9, 2006
Thanks, i like the idea of the cherry barbs, i will deffintly look into them.

Also i have a 5 gal. tank that has two gold fish. How would a Betta do with these guys?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
The goldfish themselves won't do well in the 5. Goldfish require much more space per fish -- along the lines of 10+ gallons/fish. A betta would do great in the 5 -- probably not so good with the danios depending on the individual fish.

Sep 8, 2005
Considering goldfish are cool water fish and bettas are tropical no. Also those goldfish are way too big for that 5 gallon tank. That would be perfect for the betta alone. I have danios in with my betta. They {the danios} are too busy chasing each other around to bother with the betta. But then they are in a 100 gal tank so i don't know if its such a great idea. The cherry barbs would be pretty. So would platies of different colors.

geKo

Large Fish
Jan 28, 2003
Louisville ky
Cherry barbs would make for a great choice as they are pretty active themselves. I once put some Danios in with Cardinal Tetras and that was a no no for a 10gal setup because the activness of the Danios was to much for my Cardinals and it for sure caused stress on them. Cherry barb males are very bright red and get even more red when trying to attract a female.

- geKoz