Whats a good setup for 30gal

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
well as the title says whats a good fish set up for a 30gal.. i was thinking maybe aggressive maybe not... and i seen some other ppls posts just wondered what would be a good start for a begginer like myself...

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
hmm im not to good with this stuff yet done alot of reading. and i want a shrimp or 2.. or like a crab or sumtin heh.. for the bottom of the tank that is... and i want a school... not a big one maybe 4-6 fishies... umm and whats the fish that eats snails lol :)*evil grin*

tessalion

Large Fish
Jun 4, 2006
PA
I'd definitely recommend a school of danios. They're hardy,super active and nice to look at. The only thing is, because of their hyperness they don't really give you the actually schooling effect. Or if you don't want danios maybe some form of tetras like white skirts or black neons. As for something for the bottom of the tank, have you thought about corys or ottos?

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
hmm iv thought a bit but im not sure what they look like i plan on making a stop at the fish store today and picking up some of the stuff i need

i deffinetly like tetras more... very pretty fish...

Last edited:
barbs are fin nippers so cant keep them with slow swimming fish and mollies and guppies breed alot so if you get mollies or guppies unless you want them to breed get only one gender.i like all three of those fish but i recommend going with the barbs if you want them to hang together becuase my mollies dont for the most part.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
hmm i like em but how many would i need for a 30 and... could i add a shrimp or sumtin else like that 2? i want a shrimp cuz im sure it would be kool... any other type of crab fresh water?

oh and kinda want barbs but are they not to comunity?? could i get a few tetras or sumtin like that with them and would they bother the ottos?

Last edited:

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
OK this is what I think:

1) If you want a crab/crayfish then a good fish for this are the Danios. They are quick and are usually able to outwit the crabs/crayfish. As far as other tankmates for a crab/crayfish they need to be fish that are quick and stick to the middle/top of the tank.

2) If you want "easy" fish then Mollies and Guppies are it. However they are livebearers and will breed like rabbits when healthy.

3) If you are looking for aggressive fish you can go with Cichlids. Some smaller Africans should be fine in a 30G. They are very colorful and active. The only downfall is that once you are with Africans thats it. Nothing else can go with them. But there are many of them.

4) If you want a peaceful tank then Tetras and Cories are the way to go. In this type of tank you can keep shrimp.

Once you figure out what it is you want then we can help you more.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
yeah well my decision will be based on what i see at the pet store... im not buying today i just want to look and get a pump probbly price the rest of the stuff for a fishless cycle...

ps lol as i typed this my son disconnected my speakers to my pc one by one..

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
my neighbor has a 50 gal sittin outside his house lol im thinkin bout takin it as it was my moms at first she gave it to them and it ended up being to big...

lol ill put it to good use

MadFish

Small Fish
Jul 9, 2006
I'm currently settin up my 30G tank too. This may be useful to u.
Planted tank. Intending to keep 20 Card Tetra, 4 bumblebee fish, 2 wood shrimp, 2 Discus.

I'm still stablising the tank before adding in the fishes. Waiting for my plants to be ready first.

Good Luck with ur 30G. I think it's the best size to play around.

DclownD

Large Fish
Jul 11, 2006
Syracuse, Ny
well i purchased a glass aquarium thermometer, a visi therm heater and a aqua clear filter.. *hurt my wallet at $47* cant wait for my aquarium*step father couldnt drop it off today cuz of heavy rain...*

also didnt get to petco cuz of the stupid rain... goin tommorrow early have a wee bit of cash might pick up a couple things