whats a good skimmer for 20g

Sep 26, 2006
New Jersey
title says it all i'm looking for a HOB skimmer for my 20g reef set up i want a lot of flow something probably rated for up to a 75g tank or what ever you guys think is best i dont want something rated for my size tank because of the overstock and if i get a bigger tank ;)
oh and i dont want a pricey one
Thank you
Nick

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
not a pricey one...not possible if you are serious, I would spend the little money that you want to spend on a skimmer and just buy a larger tank and go skimmerless with a small bioload...you would be fine with no skimmer on the 20 so long as you keep the bioload low and keep up on water changes. If you want to get a skimmer, spend the money on a remora, or a bakpak.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
If I had my drothers I would chose the remora over the bakpak....having one of each......the remora is by far superior......though more expensive.

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
Hi,

from my experience, you don't really need a skimmer in a reef tank that small. since such a tank requires weekly water changes, the skimmer's job is already accomplished. dialing it in would be somewhat difficult since your protein load is going to bounce a lot before and after such frequent changes. I ran my skimmer from my 75g on my 20g for a few weeks and realized was just a waste of tank space and effort, water changes did the job and I didn't need to babysit the skimmer to get the extraction right.

that said, if you are still dead-set on it, the remora is the way to go. by most accounts, the best small skimmer you can buy.

good luck!

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
You had stated at one time that your plan was to upgrade and with the bioload you have I would spend the extra dollars and get a remora, you won't be sorry. No a normal 20g probably can easily get by without a skimmer as long as water changes are done timely.......but sw4life has a fairly heavy bioload and intends to upsize in the near future.....at least that is what I have been led to beleive