What's a planted tank...?

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
That term is used very loosely. Normally when someone says "my tank is planted" I tend to think of a tank with a lot more than just a couple of plants. Heavily planted makes me think of an out right jungle in the tank.

Dec 21, 2005
st. louis area
I actually had walmart bulbs grow and they are going still after about 6 months. I love having live plants in my aquarium, oh and teh plants also love them.
I actually read recently that common plecos aren't suitable in planted tanks when they reach a certain size.

Jun 30, 2006
Plecos are one of the best algae eaters for the glass and for certain plants but they will completely tear up amazon swords in particular, even very small plecos. They're really good on anubias, better than Amano shrimp.

I keep them until they get too big and trade out for smaller ones at the lfs. Biggest I've had is about 8-9 inches in a 55 or 75 gal, but no amazon swords in those tanks.

It's fun having someone studying your tank really close and suddenly jump back when a big one comes out from hiding. :p

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
Bridish05 said:
Wow....I never knew about the traumas of plecos....lol...hm...maybe I should take them back now...
Especially if you're planning on plants:D I gave my pleco away as it would dislodge most of my small plants with it's tail blast! Never touched my amazon swords though...