What's a powerhead?

highland

Small Fish
Aug 10, 2005
Can someone explain what a power head is? I have a basic understanding of it but still a bit confused about what its main function is?

Thanks!

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
powerheads can have a lot of different functions. I think when you get down to the nuts and bolts its a pump that moves water in a fishtank. The different uses are in how they move that water, how fast they move the water and if they're moving the water through something. In saltwater they're used standalone to move water across Live Rock for filtration...in freshwater you might have deadspots in a tank and you want to move the water around some more. There are also filtration accessories that you can attach to them to make them a type of filter or to help an undergravel filter be more effective. In Freshwater you usually dont see them used...I think you see powerheads used a lot more frequently in Saltwater setups.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
What FroggyFox said (she is good eh!)

Also, another attachment I use to a powerhead is something called a quickfilter. It's basically a cylinder-shaped filter attached to the bottom (inflow) area of a powerhead that gives you added mechanical filtration through a floss filter.

I use quickfilter powerheads on my dirtier tanks, like Oscars to keep floaties down.

Also, I sometimes use powerheads with tubing on the outflows to move water to other devices, like a fluidized bed bio filter (more advanced commercial biofilter design), or sometimes to a heater to force better circulation of heated water.

The long and the short on powerheads is they often come in handy when your doing a do-it-yourself (aka DIY) project.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Are these tubings you can put on the outflow of the powerhead common? Do they sell them at any petstore? Also, can you control the flow rate of the powerhead like a dial or lever or some controls, whatever? I'm curious about powerheads, like you said, I have freshwater, so I don't have them, thus, the curiosity. Oh yea, can you also post a pic of this tubing on the powerhead, and also wherever you put it to lead to if it's not too much trouble.

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Charlius,
As far as flow control, The one I have has controls for the amount of air that is mixed in with the jetstream of water that shoots out, but no control as far as the actual flowrate.. I think most are this way, but someone else might know of a brand that can do what you are talking about

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Yes, most powerheads have some form of flow control, but not all of them. They have a sliding slot that slows the water flow to the impeller.

I use just regular silicone tubing. The Hagen powerheads have a nozzle attachment that lets you use a 1/2" silicone hose on the end.

Charlius

Medium Fish
Sep 18, 2005
Awesome. Hey, has anyone else went to that PETA site that has stuff about the cruelty for fish. Actually had some pretty good info. Thing though, they were talking about how the pumps and filters necessary for aquarium keeping interrupt their low frequency communications?? Is that true, does anyone else know about this??

R0UNDEYEZ

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Not to sound insensitive, but I wouldn't put a whole lot of faith in anything the hypocrites at PETA have to say about anything... but thats a discussion for a whole different thread