whats growing in my tank???

fishcrazy

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
I have a 55 gal sw tank that has been up and running for about 6 mo or so. I am just getting over a bad case of ich that I treated with a store bought treatment. I do not remember what it was called but Kordon? made it. Now I have alot of stuff growing everywhere. They are white and look like cotton balls except they are hollow and cone shaped. They are growing but most are still pretty small. I have tons of them though and am worried about their affect on my tank. I also have lots and lots of white curly q's all around my tank that have been there for awhile and am wondering what they are. Any ideas??

Nov 27, 2005
Can't say for sure what it is. I can only speculate that they are snail eggs that could come in on live plants, or by snails. maybe its a fungus. I have a friend who has this problem currently and would love to find out what it is so that i can advise her.:(

fishcrazy

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
sorry, no pics because they are way too small. Currently I only have 1 piece of live rock left and lots of bowl rock. All of it has been there for about 6 mos and I didn't get the cottony stuff till after the ich treatment. The curlys have been there for a long time and they are brittle but small although some are larger. The cottony ones almost look like tiny tiny feather dusters or spores of some sort. It also seems that I am starting to get tube like red colored sponges. All of this is developing on the bowl rock. I currently only use a strip light and other than the ich, no problems. The tank is cleaned and water changed regularly except that with the treatment I quit cleaning and water changes and removed filter cartriges per instructions on bottle. I am worried about a fungus and think at this point my best course of action is to remove a smaller piece of rock with enough water to cover and take to my local pet guy. I have not had any snail in the tank ever so I don't think that could be it at all. Also on one piece of rock it looks like strands of fine fine hair clear color and reminds me of a car wash. LOL. Heck I don't know. Maybe hair algea? Not a problem yet but from what I've read maybe it could be at a later date. Thanks everyone for the input.

fishcrazy

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
so i took a piece of rock to my local aquarium shop and the guy said he had no clue and was kinda rude so i figured i was bothering him and went somewhere else and the lady said right away that the curly q's were a type of barnacle and that the other things were a type of anenome. she said to let them go unless they were bothersome or overtaking my tank and then to put in a butterfly fish and they would be eaten. anyone got any ideas on this?? she did check the stuff out under a magnifying glass. where can i go to check this out for sure and or identify the stuff. thanks again.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
She likely was. If you are still learning about how much to feed and so on these can be a real nuisance as they can breed very, very quickly, and are tough to get rid of.
BUtterfkies are not effective at getting rid of them for beginners as 1. They don't always eat them, 2. they might well eat anything else you have and want to keep and 3. can be downright difficult to keep alive for more than a few weeks

fishcrazy

Small Fish
Oct 15, 2005
well, i did look at that specific type of anemone on line and mine looks nothing at all like it but then again who really knows. they do not really seem to have the tentacle like appearance of any anemone and look much closer to some sort of feather duster. the larger ones seem to surrounded by something jelly like i think but since im scared to touch them just in case, i dont really know what it is. that is what makes them look cottony. the small ones are like a hollow tube and thats all. not feather duster type of top. i've been watching them and they don't SEEM to be getting any worse, but again who really knows. i also have lots of algea that is growing on my rock that is rust colored and some a bright green with small bits of black. any ideas on that one??? my choco star doesn't seem to be good for any of this stuff and i lost my shrimp a while back but am wondering if getting another one may help. as far as the stuff growing on the glass, yes some of them do have the red feather duster top that rocking cricket gave me info on, but the majority do not so.........its just part of fish keeping i guess. as long as i keep them under controll. thanks again guys.