Whats the beef on Damsels?

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
Ok, I have read alot about "avoiding" damsels in the sw tanks. However, every fish store around here trys to push damsels on neewbies. Are they really as aggressive as they are made out to be. Are all the strains aggressive. Would a single specimen be okay with other similiar sized fish or should I just leave these guys by the way side.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Some are heniously aggressive, a few aren't. Dominoes are astonishingly aggressive, and get bigger than you'd think, humbugs (3 and 4 stripe) are pretty darn tough, blue devils aren't called that for nothing.
Some aren't too bad, some yellow tailed blues are ok, but you relly need to work out what you're buying , wich ain't easy. But the 'right' yellow tail blus isn't too bad.

Remember most reef fish are much more hurly burly than fresh /- I'd rate the saltwater level 'peacful', as up to convict icichlid n aggression levels. Aggressive really means it.

Last edited:

discus4everGrl

Superstar Fish
May 24, 2005
Chesapeake, Va
holy crap - you make it sound like that crappy 1970/60's movie where everyone gets eatten up by pirahnas all of a sudden. Just kidding really, but I guess when I have most my experience in fw, and I personally have discus, I know how huge a discus can get, it's hard to believe a little damsel that is 2 inches can be a brute. Thanks.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Well my 'peaceful' 6-line wrasse has seen a few damsels on it's way.

Gobies, some blennies, cardinals and assessors are pretty meek, but even banggai cardinals will often kill conspecifics in too small a tank.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
what wayne says about the relative aggression levels is very much true...the reef environment is ultra competitive and so from that fish have developed different defense mechanisms which are displayed in their behavior and territorial needs...

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
and as to the size of damsels, we have a domino damsel in the store I work at that is huge 5" long and really fat, he is a mean SOB too. Even my Goby is fairly agressive, and Clowns can often be vicious when defending territory