What's the difference between reef and fish only?

Dec 21, 2004
Oceanside, CA
Visit site
Hello, I'm cruious to know the difference between a reef and a fish only aquarium. I know that reef systems have live rock and sand, but does that mean that I could have clownfish with no Anemone? <~ I know, I know...
I need further explanation please. :confused:

aresgod

Superstar Fish
Jan 14, 2004
mass
Visit site
the difference is the compatability with all the creatures on a reef, there a crabs, shrimp, worms, pods, corals, ect...that are sensitive to certain "Fish only" fish, i.e. these fish tend to pick/eat/disturb reef inhabitants and there fore are not reef safe. Reef safe fish do not bother for the most part the inhabitants of the reef aquarium. Yes you can have clown fish with out a anemone sybiotic host, should not be a problem at all, infact some clowns wont even take to an anemone if you try

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
fish only is usually having a larger tank with more aggressive fish that would not be safe in a reef system (like groupers, larger angels, larger triggers, puffers, lions, eels, etc)
reef systems contain a few select "reef safe" fish, usually some inverts (hermit crabs, shrimp, snails, etc), and coral

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Umm...for a fish only you can use live sand and rock. Some of the organisms may be consumed by the fish, but it will be beneficial to have it. For a grouper lionfish and eel, make sure the tank is at least 50+gallons depending on the species.