What's the purpose.....

Oct 13, 2005
....of live plants? What I mean is, is there any advantages to having live plants in the tank? Or distadvantages? And what are the requirements of the plants?
Thanks in advance
Crissy

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
Im not a live plant expert by any stretch of the imagination but I do know a few things...I know that an advantage to live plants is they keep your tank chemically balanced, keeping the ammonia levels down. I cant explain the chemistry of it but from my own personal research that is a huge benefit. I would say the disadvantages of live plants is they do require certain light conditions depending on if it is a low light plant to a high light plant. Different ones require different light set ups. And they take time to prune, fertilize and care for. There is a section here on MFT about plants, you may want to check out the stickies in that section to inform yourself better than I have attempted to. :p

fishtrap

Large Fish
Mar 19, 2005
I'm probably the MOST unqualified to say as I'm just about to start my first PT. But here goes a few reasons.

Live plants use nitrates from fish waist and left over food making for a more stable tank.

They make a great place for fry to hide.

And IMHO, a healthy planted tank is one of the most beautiful things that you can imagine. -Living art!

I'm sure that the MFT planted heavywieghts will chime in soon with more!

hyunelan2

Large Fish
Jun 1, 2005
Near Chicago, IL
I enjoy the added challenge and reward of saying "all those plants are real" when people see my tank. It is rare (not on the internet, but in real-life) to see a planted FW tank. Plus you get the filtration and purification benefits from the plant. They're also a lot like having a livebearer fish - from the reproductin aspect. You can trim the plant, and plant the clippings and have more plants.

In all, a planted tank is more of an 'aquarium' - a whole ecosystem... not just a 'fish tank'.

Sep 8, 2005
hyunelan2 said:
I enjoy the added challenge and reward of saying "all those plants are real" when people see my tank. It is rare (not on the internet, but in real-life) to see a planted FW tank. Plus you get the filtration and purification benefits from the plant. They're also a lot like having a livebearer fish - from the reproductin aspect. You can trim the plant, and plant the clippings and have more plants.

In all, a planted tank is more of an 'aquarium' - a whole ecosystem... not just a 'fish tank'.

Well put. I couln't agree more. I am proud of the plants growing in my tank. From one planted tank i have fully planted 6 more from clippings and supplied my mother's three tanks with plants.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I would say there are lots of advantages to planted tanks:

- A more biologically diverse aquarium (with many more biological processes going on, which leads to better overall aquarium health)

- Places for fry to hide

- Provides bacteria/algae for fry to eat

- Community fish are less skittish, breed more easily

- Plants reproduce, you don't have to buy plastic plants again

- More stable water, better water quality

On the downside:

- There is a learning curve involved

- You need to pick plants to suit the conditions of your tank

- Most stores are clueless about plant needs and have little variety

- High-tech equipment is expensive, if you decide you want more demanding plants

- Some fish will eat plants or dig them up

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
that's a great list Lotus. I just wanted to chime in and say that I was very scared to get started with any aquarium plants because I tend to kill houseplants....but then balloonfish sold me some clippings to add to my 46 as a trial run (due to low light conditions etc) and now they're just growing wild in there and I have to say that the plants add a whole new dimension to the tank. I dont think I could get as into the plants as some of the folks around here do (Avalon??;)) but they are definitely something to consider, and SO much neater than plastic plants as deco.

cybersymes

Large Fish
Nov 3, 2005
'serendipity' tank
i have a fully plastic planted tank...and it rules....
...no maintenance...
...no hassles...
...no ...i'm kidding... :)

my plazzies were ok to get me going...
but i'm now ready to get some java fern...
great starter plant...low maintenance...
low light is not a problem...
heaps of benifits as have already been pointed out...

'In all, a planted tank is more of an 'aquarium' - a whole ecosystem... not just a 'fish tank'.' ....
couldn't agree more...well putt dude... :)

now my stage one is complete...fishies...
i'm looking forward to stage two...planties...

shame i didn't figure this out at the very start of things...ah well ... :)

Ramirezi

Large Fish
Mar 25, 2004
Traverse City, MI USA
Visit site
Read the stickies in the plant section....
Match your tank with the plants. I would say (just a guess) that you have very low light as planted tanks go so go with...
Java Moss, Java fern, Annubis. If you get a little more light 1&1/2 to 2 watts per gallon the Crypt. family is very nice too.

I have a planted tank and can not tell you when my fish have gotten sick. the tank provides many places for them to hide, some fish I only see every week or so which makes it very interesting to wacth the tank.