whats turning my tank sealant white??

May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
whats turning my tank sealant white?? *UPDATE* [HELP]

Theres nothing in there but water,sand,conditioner,Ammonia. The clear suction cups have also turned a creamy white color. :(

PS I just started the cycle on Wed.

Last edited:
May 11, 2005
Northern, VA.
www.freewebs.com
uhg I think I figured out what did it. The ammonia I picked up for the cycle has surfactant in it. The bottle says Pure Power Amonnia not Pure Ammonia. I'm so pissed at myself right now! :mad: :mad:

Anyone know if I should do a 100% water change or would I be ok with a 50%?

I'm think I'll go find a tall building to jump off of.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
its only 40 gallons...you can handle it. Think of it as a good lesson learned ;)

It probably wont hurt anything in the long run, just set you back a bit on time...but you might want to change your filter cartridge while you're rinsing everything out. Might scrub everything with a bit of bleach mixed with water and then soak with heavily dechlorinated water for awhile.

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
Hmm, does his white sealant have something to do with the surfactent in the ammonia really, or is that just luck? Mine's turning white too (after only a couple of days) and I just added ammonia. My ammonia does have only soft water and ammonium hydroxide as ingrediants... But maybe they didn't list something?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
I wouldn't add bleach to the tank while the ammonia is still in it. Even with a small amount of ammonia, bleach could make a very unhappy, noxious cloud! Bleach and ammonia don't mix. If you decide to use bleach, use it during one of your wash cycles then keep rinsing.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Holy biscuits Seleya Thank you...I wasn't even thinking about that!! And fishfloater...no. I was kinda thinking empty the tank, rinse it all out real good then use a bleach solution of like 1 part bleach to 20 part water. I dont think there's enough ammonia and chlorine to mix and do anything too terrible after you've watered it down so much....but yes Seleya is exactly right if you were to just slug some bleach and mix with ammonia that is NOT GOOD. You might test a tiny bit at first just to be safe before you start dousing the tank...

Shimmercat - I'm not sure. I dont think I've ever heard of anything turning the sealant white. If you take your bottle of ammonia and shake it up real hard does it make foam? Not just a few bubbles that pop after a few seconds...but bubbles that stay like soap. Thats one really good way to tell if your ammonia is "pure/clear" or has a surfectant...surfactant...(dunno which one it is I always thought it was with an e.)

revfred

Superstar Fish
Jun 21, 2003
St. Paul, MN
Visit site
I'm sure you are rinsing the sand REALLY well. Surfactents tend to leave a filmy residue. Plain white vinegar will cut the film. Also, if there is a little residual vinegar, it will not harm the bioload. Personally, I would be extremely cautious with the bleach. A solution of 19:1 would limit any problems you may have and the dechlorinator will take care of it. It could have been worse.

shimmercat

Medium Fish
Jun 8, 2005
Southern Maryland
My ammonia is fine -- I shook it and no foam, plus I added a feeded minnow to help me cycle and he's doing fine. :) The sealant is milky white, but ah well! It's a small price to pay for a tank that is cycling very well.

Oh, my ammonia is the "Home Best" brand clear ammonia from Shoppers Food Warehouse. Just to add another store brand that works. The SuperFresh brand had other chemicals in it.