Whats wrong w/ my pleco!!!!????

Jul 26, 2008
Today I bought a pleco & I dawrf frog for my new tank from a local pet retailer. I put them in, & in less than 5 hours, my pleco wasn't moving. i was poking him w/ the net & he just didn't move. i'm brand-new to fish, so i don't what happened, its like he's paralyzed!! i hope hes not dead.HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Jun 21, 2008
Well, there are several possible factors. Did you put any water conditioner in the water to remove chlorine, etc.? Such as amquel, prime, etc.? What's the temperature on the tank? Did you cycle the tank? If it's a brand new tank, and you didn't condition the water, that's probably the problem. If you didn't cycle it, that could be the problem, although probably not in 5 hours. He also may have been sick at the store since he died that fast. Just some ideas. You should post more info so the more experienced folks on here will know what you're working with.

sombunya

Large Fish
Jul 25, 2008
So. Cal. USA
Where I work (a water treatment plant) people consider Sculpin to be "Bullet Proof". They can regularly be found in the ozone contacter basins.
Ozone is a powerful disinfectant, stronger than Chlorine.

During plant shutdown they can live for a few hours out of water if the environment is moist. I collected quite a few last year and will do so again this year. However, if I find one and they are not slowly acclimated to the water temperature they will quickly die.

I always do that step. Just a thought.